《怦然心动》中英文台词完整版

发布时间:2020-02-09 23:29:15   来源:文档文库   
字号:

我只希望朱莉·贝克能离我远点|All I ever wanted was for Juli Baker to leave me alone.
故事始于一年级暑假 1957年的夏天|It all began in the summer of 1957, before the start of second grade.
我们到家啦|Here we are.
你们觉得这里怎么样? 我挺喜欢的|What do you guys think? I like this place.
很赞呢 我的房间是什么颜色?|It's cool. Uh, what color is my room?
别急嘛|Just you wait.
咱们进去瞧瞧 嘿 布莱斯|Let's see what's inside. Hey, come on, buddy Bryce.
过来给我搭把手搬东西|Why don't, uh, you and I go help unload the van
让姑娘们去整理厨房吧|and the womenfolk here can get in the kitchen and start setting up.
好的 老爸|Okay, Dad.
于我而言 这意味着我从此步入了|For me, it was the beginning of what would be
长达五年的不安与逃避生涯|more than half a decade of strategic avoidance and social discomfort.
嗨 我是朱莉·贝克 喂喂喂 你干嘛呢?|Hi, I'm Juli Baker. Hey, hey, what are you doing?
要我帮忙吗?|Don't you want some help?
不必了 那里面都是贵重物品|No. There's some valuable things in there.
那我就搬这个吧 不用了|How about this one? No, no, no.
赶紧回家吧 你妈妈没准在找你呢|Run home. Your mother's probably wondering where you are.
没关系 我妈妈知道我在哪 她同意我过来|Oh, no, my mom knows where I am. She said it's fine.
显然这姑娘也太不识趣了|It didn't take long to realize this girl could not take a hint.
咱们仨在这儿有点挤吧 不要紧啊|It's crowded in here with three people. I don't mind.
毫无自知之明 我们一起推吧?|Of any kind. You wanna push this one together?
布莱斯 你妈妈还等着你去帮忙吧?|Bryce, isn't it time for you to go help your mother?
是啊是啊|Oh, yeah.
我真是拿她没辙|I mean, nothing would stop her.
我终于忍无可忍 这时候诡异的事情却发生了|I was about to tell her to get lost when the weirdest thing happened.
我真是难以置信|I couldn't believe it.
我居然会牵着陌生女孩的手|There I was holding hands with this strange girl.
我咋就惹上了这种麻烦? 你好呀|How did I get into this mess? Well, hello.
看来你已经认识我儿子了|I see you've met my son
我不得不使出7岁男生仅有的气概|Finally, I did the only manly thing available when you're 7 years old.
然而 还有一大串的麻烦等着我|However, my troubles were far from over.
就在我走进叶尔森老师的教室时|The minute I walked into Miss Yelson's classroom
布莱斯? 你也在这啊|Bryce? You're here.
很显然|it was clear:
即使在学校 也无法逃脱她的魔掌|School would not be a sanctuary.
嘿 布莱斯 你女朋友呢?|Hey, Bryce, where's your girlfriend?
枉我一世英名啊|I was branded for life.
嘿 布莱斯 你咋不向她求婚呢?|Hey, Bryce, why don't you ask her to marry you?
布莱斯和朱莉爬上树梢|Bryce and Juli sitting in a tree
卿卿我我甜如蜜|K-l-S-S-l-N-G
搬来镇上的第一年简直就是场灾难|My first year in town was a disaster.
瞧那小两口呀|Look at them.
接下来的三年也不尽如人意|And the next three weren't much better.
就这么捱到了六年级 我总算不再坐以待毙|But finally, in the sixth grade, I took action.
想到了一个大狠招|I hatched the plan.
雪利|Sherry.
雪利 等一下|Sherry, wait up.
嗨 布莱斯|Hi, Bryce. Heh.
我向雪利·斯道尔斯展开攻势|I asked out Sherry Stalls.
我想问你愿不愿意...|I was wondering if you wanted to go
这个招数的绝妙之处在于|To full appreciate the brilliance of this plan
雪利·斯道尔斯是朱莉的眼中钉|you have to understand that Juli hated Sherry Stalls
但我始终想不通其中的缘由|though I never understood why.
雪利长发飘飘 为人和善|Sherry was nice, friendly and she had a lot of hair.
我妈之前一直不让我打耳洞 后来我拼命求她|At first, my mother wouldn't let me get my ears pierced, but I begged
我原本一心指望 只要和雪利吃吃饭|The idea was that Sherry would eat with me
散散步 就能让朱莉知难而退|maybe we'd walk around together, and hopefully Juli would lose interest.
她还是不允许我16岁前打耳洞|But I still can't get the hoops till I'm 16.
太可惜了|Oh, that's a shame.
米娜妮也想打耳洞|So Melanie wanted to get her ears pierced,
但她老妈也不是省油的灯|but of course her mother said no.
她就在家大发雷霆|So she threw a fit
把约翰尼·马蒂斯的精选辑给砸了|and smashed her Johnny Mathis Greatest Hits album
结果就被禁足了|and she got grounded,
连我的睡衣派对都来不了|so now she can't come to my pajama sleepover party.
事情进展相当顺利|Things were unfolding quite nicely.
你的科学实验打算怎么做?|What are you doing for your science project?
直到我所谓的挚友加利特·埃恩德|That is, until my supposed best friend, Garrett Einbinder
开始打起了雪利的主意|took an interest in Sherry himself.
我想展示各种护发素|I was thinking of showing how split ends react
如何修复头发分叉|with different hair conditioners.
太棒了|That's fascinating.
俗话说得好 重色必轻友 加利特这个叛徒|Loyalty gave way to desire and Garrett, the turncoat
向雪利全盘托出我的计划|told Sherry what I was up to.
混蛋|Jerk.
她自然很是生气|She didn't take it well.
至于朱莉|Word got back to Juli,
她自然又开始对我故技重施|and pretty soon she started up with the goo-goo eyes again.
而且还变本加厉|Only this time it was worse.
居然开始嗅我|She started sniffing me.
你没听错 她居然用鼻子嗅我|That's right, sniffing me.
搞什么飞机啊?|What was that all about?
我只能期望来年能摆脱魔掌|My only consolation was that next year would be different.
但愿升入初中后|Junior high, bigger school.
不用再和她同班|Maybe we'd be in different classes
彻底结束我的噩梦|and it would finally, finally be over.
见到布莱斯·罗斯基的第一眼 我便怦然心动了|The first day I met Bryce Loski, I flipped.
他的双眸让我如痴如醉|It was those eyes, something in those dazzling eyes.
我们一起推吧?|You wanna push this one together?
那时候他们刚搬到我家隔壁|His family had just moved into the neighborhood
我过去帮他们搬东西|and I'd gone over to help them.
我在车里刚呆了2分钟|I'd been in the van all of two minutes
他老爸就让她去帮他妈妈|when his dad sent him off to help his mom.
我知道他并不想离开|I could see he didn't wanna go.
于是我追上前去|So I chased after him to see
问他能不能先玩一会再进屋|if we could play a little before he got trapped inside.
接着他便用力握着我的手|The next thing I know, he's holding my hand
与我深情凝视|and looking right into my eyes.
那一刹那 我的心停止了跳动|My heart stopped.
这一刻到来了吗?|Was this it?
是时候迎来我的初吻了吗?|Would this be my first kiss?
没想到他妈妈却出来了 你好呀|But then his mother came out. Well, hello.
他感到无比羞愧 脸都红了|And he was so embarrassed, his cheeks turned completely red.
那晚我躺在床上 不停幻想初吻的场景|I went to bed that night thinking of the kiss that might have been.
我知道他对我动心了|I mean, it was clear he had feelings for me,
只是怯于表达爱意|but he was just too shy to show them.
妈妈说过男孩子都会这样|My mother said boys were like that.
我决定帮他克服心中的恐惧|So I decided to help him out.
布莱斯? 你也在这啊|Bryce? You're here.
我会竭尽所能帮他彻底释放自我|I would give him plenty of opportunity to get over his shyness.
六年级那年 我学着有所收敛|By the sixth grade, I'd learned to control myself.
没想到半路却杀出个雪利·斯道尔斯|Then Sherry Stalls entered the picture.
雪利·斯道尔斯就是一人尽可夫的长舌妇|Sherry Stalls was nothing but a whiny, gossipy, backstabbing flirt.
头发长见识短|All hair and no substance.
而且她竟然...|And there she was
和布莱斯十指紧扣 那可是我家布莱斯|holding hands with Bryce. My Bryce.
我的初吻白马王子|The one who was walking around with my first kiss.
我决定对她视而不见 依照布莱斯的品性|My solution was to ignore her. I knew a boy of Bryce's caliber
总有一天能意识到雪利有多浅薄无知|would eventually see through a shallow conniver like Sherry Stalls.
如我所料 他俩一周后便分手了|It took all of a week. They broke up at recess.
她也不看看自己几斤几两|She didn't take it well.
自从布莱斯摆脱了朱莉的魔掌|Now that Bryce was out of Sherry's evil clutches,
对我也变得更为友善|he started being nicer to me.
嗨 朱莉 嗨 布莱斯|Hi, Juli. Hi, Bryce.
他如此腼腆可人|He was so shy and so cute
他的发丝间弥漫着西瓜的香氛|and his hair, it smelled like watermelon.
我简直如痴如醉|I couldn't get enough of it.
整整一年我都沉浸在这迷人的芬芳里|I spent the whole year secretly sniffing watermelon
期盼着何时能迎来我的初吻|and wondering if I was ever going to get my kiss.
升入初一后 生活开始有所改观|Seventh grade brought changes, all right.
但最大的变化并非学校|But the biggest one didn't happen at school.
而是出现在家中|It happened at home.
外公搬来与我们同住|My grandfather came to live with us.
妈妈说他是过于思念外婆 才会如此迷惘|Mom said he stared like that because he missed Grandma.
但他怎么可能对我推心置腹呢|That was not something Grandpa would ever talk about with me.
其实他在我面前总是沉默寡言|As a matter of fact, he never talked about much of anything with me.
直到朱莉的名字登上了当地报纸|That is, until Juli appeared in the local newspaper.
布莱斯 能和你聊聊吗? 有事吗?|Oh, Bryce. May I speak with you? What?
坐吧 孩子|Have a seat, son.
跟我说说你的朋友朱莉·贝克吧|Tell me about your friend Juli Baker.
其实朱莉算不上是我朋友|Juli. She's not exactly my friend.
为什么呢?|Oh. Why's that?
你怎么突然问这个?|Why do you wanna know?
朱莉·贝克登上梅菲尔德时报|Now, Juli Baker did not wind up in The Mayfield Times
可不是因为她天赋异禀|for being an eighth-grade Einstein.
而是因为她赖在无花果树上|No, she got front-page coverage because she refused
死活不肯下来|to climb out of a sycamore tree.
朱莉·贝克和那棵白痴无花果树|Juli Baker and that stupid sycamore tree.
她认为那棵树|She always thought it was God's gift
是上帝对我们的恩赐|to our little corner of the universe.
嘿 布莱斯 过来和我们一起爬树不?|Hey, Bryce. Wanna come climb the tree with me and my brothers?
不了 谢谢|No, thanks.
布莱斯 快上来嘛 很好玩的|Bryce. Come up here. It's fun.
可以看到全世界呢 我没空|You can see everything. I can't.
我爸爸让我帮他去修...|My dad needs me to help him fix
修东西|a thing.
拉倒吧|That's all I needed.
我才不要和朱莉·贝克一起爬树呢|Climb up a tree with Juli Baker.
我可不想重温二年级的噩梦|I'd be dragged right back into the second grade.
布莱斯和朱莉爬上树梢|Bryce and Juli sitting in a tree.
我宁可下半辈子吃青豆度日|Why don't you just make me eat lima beans for the rest of my life.
还有三个街区就来了|It's three blocks away.
只剩两个喽|Two blocks.
还有最后一个|One block away.
还真把自己当回事 最受不了她这种人了|Like that's valuable information. I hate it when she does that.
真希望校车哪天能罢工|I like to think there's at least a chance the bus won't show.
这棵树在晨曦中显得尤为美丽 你说对么?|I think the tree looks particularly beautiful in this light. Don't you?
如果你所谓的美丽是指奇丑无比|If by "beautiful" you mean "unbelievably ugly,"
那我绝对赞成|then, yes, I would agree.
你眼神不太好吧 我真同情你|You're just visually challenged. I feel sorry for you.
眼神不太好?|"Visually challenged"?
眼神不太好?|"Visually challenged"?
她家不也是街坊邻里的笑柄么|This from the girl who lived in a house
居然敢这么说我?|that was the joke of the neighborhood?
灌木爬满了窗台 门前杂草丛生|They had bushes growing over windows and weeds all over the place.
我老爸为此很是不爽|It bugged my dad bigtime.
哟 快瞧瞧|Oh, there he is.
砌墙工当自己是大画家呢|The bricklayer who thinks he's a painter.
嫌那破车不够寒碜|That truck's not ugly enough in real life?
还得画幅画裱起来?|He's gotta make a painting of it?
人家的风景画可是集市上的抢手货|No, he does landscapes. Sells them at the county fair.
大家都夸赞他呢|People say they're beautiful.
风景画? 要我说吧|Landscapes? Let me tell you something.
他要是能把院子拾掇拾掇|The world would have more beauty in it
这个世界一定会更加美好|if he'd do a little landscaping on that piece of crap he calls a yard.
我真同情他老婆 嫁了这么个幻想家|I feel bad for his wife. She married a dreamer.
梦想与现实间的冲突 总得有一个人来承受|Because of that, one of the two of them will always be unhappy.
没错 可为啥要殃及无辜呢?|Yeah, fine. But why do we have to be unhappy?
和朱莉·贝克成天赖在树上相比|As annoying as the yard was to my dad
她家那院子其实也不见得有多惹人生厌|it was nothing compared to how annoying Juli Baker was in that tree.
还有三个街区哦|Three blocks away.
每天早上我们都不得不忍受|Every morning we had to listen to the sound
她极为啰嗦的交通播报|of her blow-by-blow traffic report.
还有两个了|Two blocks.
到喽|There you go.
为什么要叫"三个臭皮匠"呢?|Why do they call it The Three Stooges?
明明有五个人啊 什么?|I mean, there's five of them. What?
你看啊 莫伊 拉里 克里 谢普和卷毛乔伊|Well, yeah, there's Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp and Curly Joe.
可每场戏却只有三个人 是啊|Yeah, but they only have three at a time. Yeah.
我讨厌卷毛乔伊 他哪算得上臭皮匠呢|You know, I hate Curly Joe. I mean, he shouldn't even be a Stooge.
姑娘 我可要报警了|Listen, girl, I'm this close to calling the police.
你侵犯私人土地 妨碍施工|You are trespassing and obstructing progress on a contracted job.
怎么了? 你最好自己下来|What's going on? Either you come down
要不我们就砍树了 你们赶紧上来吧|or we're gonna cut you down. You guys, come up here with me.
咱们人一多他们就不敢砍了|They won't cut it down if we're all up here.
车来了 朱莉真是疯了|Bus, bus, bus. Juli was frantic.
他们想把树给砍了|They wanted to cut down her tree.
真不明白那无比畸形的树|I couldn't understand why that mutant tangle of gnarly branches
在她心里怎么就那么重要 布莱斯 求你了|meant so much to her. Bryce, please.
我很同情她 别管她|I felt bad for her. Leave her.
但我可不至于为此旷课|But I wasn't about to cut school over it.
走吧 哥们儿|Come on, bro.
你为什么不把她当朋友呢 布莱斯?|Why isn't she your friend, Bryce?
等你真正了解朱莉就明白了|You'd have to know Juli.
我倒真想认识她|Well, I'd like to.
为什么?|Why?
这姑娘挺有骨气的|That girl has an iron backbone.
要不你抽空请她来家里玩?|Why don't you invite her over sometime?
有骨气?|An iron backbone?
她那是一根筋|She's just stubborn
而且还很自以为是|and she's pushy beyond belief.
是这样吗?|Is that so?
她从二年级起就老是缠着我|And she's been stalking me since the second grade.
这种女孩可是可遇不可求的|Well, a girl like that doesn't live next door to everyone.
谁遇上谁倒霉|Lucky them.
看看这个|Read this.
放下心中的成见|Without prejudice.
我才没兴趣去了解朱莉·贝克|Like I needed to know anything more about Juli Baker.
第二天早上朱莉没去等校车|Juli wasn't at the bus stop the next morning.
第三天也不见她出现|Or the morning after that.
不知道她怎么来学校的|She was at school, but you'd never know it.
小乔伊? 他那妆也太浓了 他不显老啊|Little Joe? He's got so much makeup on He doesn't age.
我告诉自己应该感到庆幸|I told myself I should be glad about it.
这不就是我日期夜盼的吗?|I mean, isn't that what I'd always wanted?
但我仍替她感到难过|But still, I felt bad for her.
我想跟她说声对不起 但是一想 还是算了|I was gonna tell her I was sorry, but then I thought, hey, no
我可真不希望|that's the last thing I needed:
让朱莉·贝克以为我在想她|Juli Baker thinking I missed her.
我知道你为什么喜欢这里|I see why you like to come out here.
那你能开导开导你老妈不?|Would you mind explaining it to your mother?
我喜欢看着爸爸作画|I loved to watch my father paint.
更喜欢在他画画时和他聊天|Or really, I loved to hear him talk while he painted.
这样能让我更了解他|I learned a lot about my dad that way.
他和我无话不谈|He told me all sorts of things
比如他怎样得到第一份工作|like how he got his first job delivering hay
他多么渴望能完成学业|and how he'd wished he'd finished college.
有一天 他出人意料地问我|Then one day he surprised me.
你和布莱斯·罗斯基是怎么回事?|What's going on with you and, uh, Bryce Loski?
什么怎么回事啊? 没什么呀|What do you mean? Nothing.
那好吧|Oh, okay.
是我想多了|My mistake.
你怎么会这么想?|Why would you even think that?
其实也没什么|No reason.
只是你成天|Just that you
都把他挂在嘴边|talk about him all the time.
我有吗?|I do?
我也不知道|I don't know.
也许我被他的双眼所吸引吧|I guess it's something about his eyes.
还有他迷人的微笑|Or maybe his smile.
那他人怎么样?|But what about him?
什么? 你得考虑画的整体效果|What? You have to look at the whole landscape.
什么意思?|What does that mean?
一幅画绝非简单拼凑就能完成|A painting is more than the sum of its parts.
一头牛只是一头牛|A cow by itself is just a cow.
草地也只长满了青草和花朵|A meadow by itself is just grass, flowers.
阳光照进大树的枝桠 亦不过缕缕薄光|And the sun peeking through the trees is just a beam of light.
但你若能将它们衔接拼凑|But you put them all together
却能收获意想不到的成果|and it can be magic.
我对他的话一知半解 直到一天下午|I didn't really understand what he was saying until one afternoon
我爬上无花果树的枝头|when I was up in the sycamore tree.
试图去捡风筝|I was rescuing a kite.
它挂得很高 我从没爬过这么高|It was a long way up, higher than I'd ever been.
但我发现爬得越高 眼前的景象便愈发迷人|And the higher I got, the more amazed I was by the view.
沁人心脾的微风迎面扑来|I began to notice how wonderful the breeze smelled.
夹杂着阳光和野草的芬芳|Like sunshine and wild grass.
我忍不住大口呼吸|I couldn't stop breathing it in
让肺里溢满甜美醉人的气息|filling my lungs with the sweetest smell I'd ever known.
嘿 我的风筝被你找到了|Hey, you found my kite.
布莱斯 你真该上来看看|Bryce, you should come up here.
太美了|It's so beautiful.
不行 我扭伤了...|I can't. I sprained my, um
我出疹子了|I have a rash.
从那一刻起 我彻底爱上了这里|From that moment on, that became my spot.
我可以坐上好几个钟头 静静欣赏这世界|I could sit there for hours, just looking out at the world.
落日时而泛着微醺的紫红|Some days the sunsets would be purple and pink.
时而迸发出橙色的余晖|And some days they were a blazing orange
瞬间布满天边的晚霞|setting fire to the clouds on the horizon.
在如此瑰丽的景象中|It was during one of those sunsets that my father's idea
我终于慢慢有所领悟|of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts
爸爸所说的整体胜于全部|moved from my head to my heart.
有时我会起个大早 只为去看日出|Some days I would get there extra early to watch the sunrise.
一天清晨 我在心里兀自揣度|One morning I was making mental notes
应该如何向爸爸描绘|of how the streaks of light were cutting through the clouds
缕缕曙光穿透云层的景象|so I could tell my dad
下面却传来阵阵嘈杂|when I heard a noise below.
不好意思|Excuse me.
抱歉 你们不能停在这里 这是校车站台|Excuse me. I'm sorry, but you can't park there. That's a bus stop.
你在上面干嘛呢?|Hey, what are you doing up there?
赶紧下来 我们要砍树了|You can't be up there, we're gonna take this thing down.
砍这棵树? 没错 快下来吧|The tree? Yeah. Now come on down.
谁批准你们砍树的? 树的主人啊|But who told you, you could cut it down? The owner.
为什么?|Why?
他想在这里建房 这棵树挡道了|He's gonna build a house, and this tree's in the way.
姑娘 赶紧下来吧 我们得开工了|So come on, girl, we got work to do.
你们不能砍这棵树 不能砍|You can't cut it down. You just can't.
姑娘 你再不下来我就报警了|Listen, girl. I'm this close to calling the police.
你侵犯私人土地 妨碍施工|You are trespassing and obstructing progress on a contracted job.
你再不下来 我们就直接砍了|Now either you come down, or we're gonna cut you down.
来吧 要砍就砍吧|Go ahead. Cut me down.
我不下去 坚决不下去|I'm not coming down. I'm never coming down.
布莱斯 你们快上来帮我啊|Bryce. You guys, come up here with me.
上面人一多 他们就不敢砍了|They won't cut it down if we're all up here.
布莱斯 别让他们砍树啊|Bryce, please don't let them do this.
求你们了|Come on, you guys.
布莱斯 求你了 你不用爬很高的|Bryce, please. You don't have to come up this high. Just a little ways.
布莱斯 求求你了|Bryce, please. Please.
从那之后 一切都变得模糊起来|What happened after that was a blur.
似乎整个镇上的人都围了过来|It seemed like the whole town was there.
但我一直坚持不肯下去|But still I wouldn't move.
爸爸后来赶了过来|Then my father showed up.
他说服消防员 架了楼梯爬上来|He talked a fireman into letting him come up to where I was.
宝贝儿 我们下去吧|Sweetie, it's time to come down.
爸爸 别让他们砍树|Daddy, please don't let them do this.
宝贝儿 爸爸 你看啊|Sweetie Daddy, look.
在这里可以俯瞰整个世界|You can see everything. You can see the whole world from here.
万里河山也不及我女儿的安危重要 下去吧|No view is worth my daughter's safety. Now, come on.
我不走|I can't.
朱莉安娜 别耍小性子了|Julianna, it's time to come down now.
求你了 爸爸|Please, Daddy.
听话 下去吧|It's time.
就这么结束了|And that was it.
我整整两周都以泪洗面|I must've cried for two weeks straight.
我仍然坚持上学 异常用功|Oh, sure, I went to school and did the best I could
却感觉生活失去了重心|but nothing seemed to matter.
朱莉? 啊?|Juli? Huh?
你知道答案是什么吗?|Do you know the answer?
伯罗奔尼撒战争?|Uh, the Peloponnesian War?
这也许是某个问题的答案|I'm sure that's the answer to something
但我问的是菱形的面积|but I was looking for the area of a rhomboid.
其实 菱形三角形之类的|Somehow, rhomboids and isosceles right triangles
在我看来并不重要|didn't seem so important.
我开始骑车上学 只为避开那个伤心地|I rode my bike so I wouldn't have to pass by the stump
那里曾经矗立着世上最美的无花果树|that used to be the earth's most magnificent sycamore tree.
但不管我怎么努力 我对它始终心有念想|But no matter what I did, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
你还好吧?|Are you okay?
不就是一棵树么|It was just a tree.
那不仅只是一棵树|No, it wasn't just a tree.
希望你能将树梢的美好时光永存心底|I never want you to forget how you felt when you were up there.
谢谢你 爸爸|Thanks, Dad.
我每天醒来就会看着这幅画|It was the first thing I saw every morning
它亦每天伴着我入眠|and the last thing I saw before I went to sleep.
直到有一天看着它 我不再泪眼朦胧|And once I could look at it without crying
我领悟到了更深层的寓意|I saw more than the tree and what being up there meant to me.
我的世界观开始有了细微的变化|I saw the day that my view of things around me started changing.
我不禁问自己 我对布莱斯的感情是否一如往日?|And I wondered, did I still feel the same things about Bryce?
我向来对鸡蛋不感冒|I've never been a huge fan of eggs.
既不喜欢 也说不上讨厌|I mean, I could always just take them or leave them.
但那天在斯凯勒·布朗家的车库里|That is, until one day in Skyler Brown's garage
让我对鸡蛋的厌恶根深蒂固|when my feelings about eggs were solidified.
嘿 伙计们 艾德娜的早餐有着落喽|Hey, hey, hey. Guys. Edna's found her breakfast.
黏糊糊软趴趴的动物喜欢的食物|I mean, if a slimy reptile found them appetizing
我想想都觉得恶心|there was certainly no place for them in my diet.
天啊 太给力了|Oh, man, that's so cool.
她连嚼都不用嚼 省时又省心|She doesn't even have to chew. I mean, think of all the time you'd save.
都怨我姐姐丽奈特|I could've gone my whole life not knowing that snakes eat eggs raw
非要来找斯凯勒·布朗商量联赛的事|if it hadn't been for Lynetta.
要不我这辈子都不想看蛇活吞鸡蛋|She had a major-league thing for Skyler Brown.
真够恶心的|I think it's gross.
他和朱莉的哥哥马特和马克 组了个乐队|He and Juli's brothers, Matt and Mark, had formed a band.
丽奈特要看着他们排练|And Lynetta would watch them practice.
太赞了吧|That is so neat.
你觉得呢 布莱斯?|How about that, huh, Bryce?
是啊 够给力的|Yeah. Neat.
布莱斯 你觉得它要怎么消化?|So, Brycie, how do you think he's gonna digest that?
胃酸? 就知道你会这么说|Stomach acid? You'd like to think that.
等等 别出声 好戏开始了|Wait, everybody quiet. Here he goes.
这才叫吃鸡蛋啊|Eggs over easy.
太恶心了 看得我想吐|Gross. Gross, gross, gross.
等等哈 最精彩的还没出现呢|Wait, wait. You haven't seen the best part.
好恶啊|Gross.
我试着佯装淡定 却毫不管用|I tried to be casual about it, but it didn't take.
我开始做噩梦|I started having bad dreams.
梦见自己被困在巨型鸡蛋里|I'd be trapped inside a huge egg
怪物张嘴将我吞入囊中|and this monster would open his jaws and start to devour me.
所幸每次都能及时醒来|I'd wake up just in time.
没想到噩梦成真了|Then the real nightmare began.
嗨 布莱斯 我给你们带了些鸡蛋|Hi, Bryce. I brought these over for you and your family.
我家养的鸡开始下蛋了 什么?|My chickens are laying eggs. What?
还记得艾比 邦妮 克莱德|You remember Abby and Bonnie and Clyde
德克斯特 尤妮丝和弗洛伦斯吗?|and Dexter and Eunice and Florence?
就是科学展览会上孵的小鸡 当然记得啊|The ones I hatched for the science fair. How could I forget?
朱莉·贝克总是那么经典|It was classic Juli Baker.
轻而易举成了全场的焦点|She totally dominated the fair.
她的课题是观察无聊的鸡蛋孵化过程|And get this, her project was all about watching boring eggs hatch.
我的可是现场模拟火山爆发|I mean, here I had a live-action erupting volcano
可大家显然对朱莉孵出的鸡仔|and all anyone cared about was Juli's boring chicks
更感兴趣|breaking out of their boring shells.
最后一只出来了|Oh, I think the last one's hatching.
出来了 出来了啊|It's hatching. Oh, it's hatching.
孩子们 快过来|Kids, come over here.
好吧 我输给她了|But hey, she won. I lost.
我彻底被无视了|I've never been one to dwell.
孵出来了|Here it comes.
但我可不会吃她送来的鸡蛋|But that didn't mean I had to eat her lousy eggs.
朱莉这姑娘真乖巧 还给我们送鸡蛋|I think it was very sweet of Juli to bring us those eggs.
我才不吃呢 我明早还是喝燕麦粥|I don't care. I'm still having cereal tomorrow.
我们怎么能确定这蛋不是孵了一半呢|Yeah, how do we know there's no chicks in one of those eggs?
我小时候常吃刚下的蛋 很是可口|I used to eat farm-fresh eggs when I was a kid. They were delicious.
刚下的蛋当然美味了|Yeah, well, that's all well and good
可万一敲开鸡蛋 掉出一具尸体咋整?|but what if we crack one open and a dead chick falls out?
他们家有养公鸡吗?|Do they have a rooster?
如果没有就不是受精蛋|If they don't have a rooster the eggs can't be fertile.
如果养了公鸡我们也会知道|And if they had a rooster, we'd know.
街坊邻居都能听到|The whole neighborhood would know.
万一人家把公鸡变声了呢|Maybe they got it de-yodeled.
变声?|"De-yodeled"?
就是把声带给割了|You know. De-cock-a-doodle-doo'd.
瞎说什么呢你?|What the hell are you talking about?
就像给狗禁声那样|Like they de-bark dogs.
布莱斯 你直接问问朱莉不就行了?|Bryce, why don't you just ask Juli?
还是不要吧 什么?|I don't think that What?
你不敢跟她说话? 谁说我不敢跟她说话|You afraid to talk to her? I'm not afraid to talk to her.
我看是你不敢吧|I know you are, but what am I?
好了 你去找她问问清楚吧 布莱斯|Okay. Just talk to her and find out. Bryce.
你会如何识别公鸡?|How do you tell if one's a rooster?
公鸡体型较大 羽毛更长|Well, a rooster's bigger. Longer feathers.
头上长有红色的鸡冠|They've got that red stuff growing out of their head.
脖子上也长有红毛 那应该挺好鉴别的吧|And around their neck too. That shouldn't be too hard to spot.
你想想啊 鸡通常都长有鸡冠|Although, come to think of it, chickens have the rubbery red stuff too.
只不过不太明显罢了|Just not as much.
加利特是公鸡专家|Garrett's expertise in roosters
他能让我避免直接和朱莉·贝克对峙|was the cornerstone of our plan to avoid contact with Juli Baker.
我们偷偷溜去她家后院|The balance of which involved spying over her back fence.
快点 快点 嘘|Come on, come on. Shh. Shh.
就在这|Over here.
我看不清那些鸡啊|I can't see the stupid chickens.
得把它们从笼子里弄出来|We gotta get them out of the coop.
那是公鸡吗?|Is that a rooster?
不是 看起来不像|No, it looks like a chicken.
你怎么知道?|How can you tell?
只可意会不可言传|It just does.
瞧见了吧? 什么叫做专家|See what I mean? Expertise.
嘘 干嘛?|Shh, shh! What?
朱莉|Juli.
开饭啦 宝贝们|Here, guys.
出来吧 吃饭喽|Go on, there you go.
来来来 吃饭哦 没错 都是鸡|Here, guys. Go on. Yeah, they're all chickens.
一只公鸡都没有? 非得让我再说一遍?|There's no rooster? What did I just say?
你怎么看出来的?|How can you tell?
它们走路没有昂首阔步 来来来 多吃点|Well, none of them are strutting. Here, come on.
公鸡也懂昂首阔步? 快吃呀|Roosters strut? Come on, guys.
你不懂就别问了行不? 吃吧吃吧|What did I just say? Here.
再说了 也没看见有红鸡冠的|Plus, hardly any of them have any rubbery red stuff.
你在干嘛呀? 绝对都是鸡|What are you doing? Yeah. They're definitely all chickens.
他们家养的都是鸡|They're all chickens.
真替你骄傲啊 布莱斯|I'm proud of you, Bryce.
你克服了恐惧心理 什么?|You overcame your fear. Huh?
你跟她说话了呀 哦 是啊|You talked to her. Oh, heh. Yeah.
这有啥大不了的|It's no big deal.
是她亲口跟你说的吗? 养的都是鸡?|That's what she told you? They're all chickens?
是啊|Yeah.
你俩都够油菜的 不是鸡难道还是鸭啊|She's a genius. You're both genius Of course they're all chickens.
公鸡不也是鸡么 可关键在于|A rooster's a chicken. The question is:
那些鸡都是母的吗?|Is one of them a rooster or are they all hens?
母鸡? 谁跟我提过母鸡啊?|Hens? Who said anything about hens?
我突然就开窍了|Then it hit me.
加利特压根对鸡一窍不通|Garrett didn't know jack shit about chickens.
公鸡走路会昂首阔步么? 那当然了|Do roosters strut? Yes, they do.
问这个问题有意义吗?|What does that have to do with anything?
那它们全是母鸡|They're all hens.
只要鸡蛋没问题就行了|Well, the main thing is the eggs are okay.
不用再纠结了|It's all settled.
我可不这么想|Not for me.
我打死都不可能去碰|There was no way I was ever gonna eat anything
和朱莉·贝克有关的任何东西|that had anything to do with Juli Baker.
我不想吃鸡蛋|I'm not eating them.
为什么呢?|Well, why not?
你又不是没见过她家那院子|Have you seen their yard? It's
简直是寸草不生 除了污泥就是鸡粪|There's not even any grass. It's all mud and chicken turds.
真恶心 有沙门氏菌?|Ew. Gross. Salmonella.
该不会有沙门氏菌吧?|Do you suppose they could have salmonella?
应该不太可能 为什么要拿健康冒险?|It's not very likely. Why take the risk?
那鸡蛋如何处理?|What do we do with the eggs?
还回去吧|Give them back.
还回去? 还给朱莉? 没错|Give them back? To Juli? Sure.
反正你都跟她说过话了 也没见你掉肉啊|You talked to her before, right? It didn't kill you.
那我要怎么跟她说呢?|Well, what do I say?
告诉她我们家不吃鸡蛋|Tell her we don't eat eggs.
对鸡蛋过敏之类的|Uh, we're allergic to them or something.
你不会动脑筋想想啊|Come on, use your brains.
撒谎总归不太好|It didn't feel right to lie.
再说了 三岁小孩都知道|Besides, even a seventh grader would know
全家人不可能同时对鸡蛋过敏|that entire families aren't allergic to eggs.
我也不想让她伤心|But I didn't wanna hurt her feelings either.
所以我只能这么做了|So that left me with only one option.
而且也能让我避免|And thus another near-death experience
和朱莉·贝克当面发生冲突|in my ongoing saga with Juli Baker had been successfully avoided.
直到一个星期后|Until one week later.
嗨 布莱斯 我又给你带了些鸡蛋|Hi, Bryce. Brought you some more eggs.
哇|Wow.
谢谢 之前送的那些你家人还喜欢吗?|Thanks. Did your family like the first batch?
这还用说吗|Do you even have to ask?
那就好 学校见|Great. See you at school.
我本来想着能永绝后患|What I hoped would be a one-time event
没想到却让自己|was just the beginning of a life
变得谎话连篇|consumed with lies, intrigue and deception.
每天早晨我都得提防朱莉|Every morning I'd be on the lookout for Juli
必须抢在她敲门之前|so if she happened to come,
把门打开|I could whip the door open before she knocked.
谢谢|Thanks.
然后再偷偷把鸡蛋给扔了|Then I'd dump the eggs before anyone noticed.
为什么? 我就不能直接跟她摊牌吗?|And why? Why couldn't I just face her?
为什么我就不能跟她说|Why couldn't I just say:
谢谢 我不稀罕你的鸡蛋 拿去喂蛇好了|"No, thanks. Don't want them. Don't need them. Give them to the snake"?
我究竟是不忍伤害她|Was I really afraid of hurting her feelings
还是打心底里怕她?|or was I just afraid of her?
现在 你得确认...|Now, you wanna make sure you get it
布鲁贝克老师最初提出孵化课题时|When Mrs. Brubeck first suggested hatching eggs as my science project
我其实并不太感兴趣|I was less than excited.
直到我第一次亲眼目睹生命的迹象|That is, until I saw my first sign of life.
就是这个吗?|Is that it?
是的 那就是胚胎 哇|That's the embryo. Heh. Wow.
看起来像豌豆 没错|It looks like a bean. It does.
看看其他几个吧|Let's try the other ones.
那一刻我切身感受到|Suddenly it felt real.
每颗蛋都是鲜活的生命|All the eggs were alive.
里面都孕育着豌豆宝宝|There were, like, little bean babies inside every one.
科技展览会上 六只小鸡成功孵化|On the day of the fair, all six chicks hatched.
这不是做梦吧?|What are the odds?
今年的冠军是朱莉·贝克|This year's top prize goes to Juli Baker
她的课题是|for her wonderful project:
小鸡的诞生过程|"A Chicken is Born."
我得了第一名|I won first place.
我当然很高兴 但我更在意小鸡们的去留|And that was cool, but all I really cared about were my chicks.
开饭啦 宝贝们|There you go. There you go, guys.
妈妈并不太喜欢在家养鸡|My mom wasn't crazy about us raising chickens.
我拼命求她 还向她保证|But I begged and pleaded.
一定会打理好一切 而且我做到了|I told her I would take care of everything. And I did.
克莱德哪去了?|Where's Clyde?
克莱德?|Clyde?
克莱德 你怎么了?|Hey, Clyde. What's the matter?
你还好吗? 肚子不饿吗?|Are you okay? Aren't you hungry?
来 过来 怎么了呀 宝贝?|Come on. Come here. What's wrong, baby?
让我抱抱|Come here.
嘿 你升级成妈妈克莱德啦|Hey, you're not Clyde. You're Clydette.
妈妈|Mom!
母鸡下的蛋供过于求|As it turned out, my hens laid more eggs than we could eat.
一开始我们还想加大需求量|At first we tried to keep up
但连吃了1个月的煮蛋 炒蛋 煎蛋后|but after a month of boiling, frying and deviling
就像电影"变形怪体"那样 我们彻底不行了|like that movie The Blob, we were being overtaken by eggs.
直到邻居斯特比太太到访 事情才有所转机|Then opportunity in the form of our neighbor, Mrs. Steuby, knocked.
你好呀 亲爱的|Hello, dear.
如果你家有多余的鸡蛋 我想找你买一些|If you ever have any extra, I'd be happy to buy them from you.
真的吗? 那当然了|Really? Certainly.
而且海姆斯太太也想买|And I happen to know that Mrs. Helms would be interested as well.
太好了 新鲜鸡蛋多营养呀|Great. Nothing like fresh eggs.
谢谢你 斯特比太太 不客气 亲爱的 再见|Thanks, Mrs. Steuby. You bet, dear. Bye.
在斯特比和海姆斯太太的帮助下|Between Mrs. Steuby and Mrs. Helms,
我的难题总算得以解决|my egg overflow problem was solved.
我意识到应该给罗斯基太太也送些鸡蛋|Then I realized that Mrs. Loski deserved eggs too.
但我不想收她的钱|But I didn't think it would be right to charge her.
她心地非常善良|She had been such a good neighbor,
每次我们缺了什么 她总是慷慨相助|lending us supplies when we ran out
上次车坏了 她还让妈妈搭便车|giving my mother a ride when our car wouldn't start
我理所应该报答她|it was the least I could do.
再说了 如果能凑巧遇上布莱斯|Besides, if I happened to run into Bryce,
就再好不过了|that wouldn't be the end of the world.
嗨 布莱斯|Hi, Bryce.
当我第三次给罗斯基家送鸡蛋时|By the third time I brought eggs over to the Loskis
我注意到布莱斯每次都在等我|I realized Bryce was waiting for me.
等着开门对我说|Waiting to pull open the door and say,
"谢谢你 朱莉 学校见"|"Thanks, Juli. See you at school."
而我也何其有幸|And in return, I got a few moments alone
享受着与他深情凝视的小瞬间|with the world's most dazzling eyes.
谢谢你 朱莉 学校见|Thanks, Juli. See you at school.
这桩买卖还真不赖|It was a bargain.
可好景却不长|Until the day it wasn't.
无花果树被砍的两周后|It was two weeks after the sycamore tree was cut down
我的心情刚开始有所平复|and I was just starting to feel normal again.
嘿 朱莉 真够准时的啊|Hey, Juli. Right on schedule.
是啊 风雨无阻呢|Yeah, well, neither rain nor sleet.
什么? 就像邮递员那样|Huh? You know, the mailman thing?
哦 没错|Oh. Right.
你以后还会坐校车吗?|So, um, will you start riding the bus again?
我也说不好 自从上次...|I don't know. I haven't been up there since
其实也没那么糟 都清理干净了|It doesn't look so bad anymore. It's all cleared away.
那个 我得出发去学校了|Well, um, I better get ready for school.
咱们学校见吧|Guess I'll see you there.
再见|See you.
也许布莱斯说的没错|Maybe Bryce was right.
我是时候考虑重新坐校车了|Maybe it was time I started riding the bus again.
他都向我发出邀请了|After all, didn't he just tell me he wanted me to?
会不会是布莱斯·罗斯基想我了?|Could it be that Bryce Loski actually misses me?
朱莉 你还没走呀?|Juli? What are you still doing here?
我在想事情|I was just thinking.
今天是垃圾回收日 垃圾车就在前面|It's pickup day. The cans are in front.
我知道 要我帮忙吗?|I know. You need some help?
不用了 我还是过会儿再去吧|No. Maybe I'll do it later.
那是我送的鸡蛋?|Are those my eggs?
是的 我不小心掉地上了|Yeah. Yeah, I dropped them.
并没有摔坏啊|They're not broken.
为什么要扔了?|Why are you throwing them away?
你不想要吗?|Don't you want them?
不是我 我爸爸觉得我们不该冒险|It wasn't me. My dad didn't think it was worth the risk.
冒险? 冒什么险啊?|Risk? What risk?
沙门氏菌|Salmonella.
什么? 他还怕我会下毒吗?|What? He's afraid of being poisoned?
朱莉 你瞧瞧你家后院 乱得不像话|Well, Juli, I mean, look at your back yard. It's a complete mess.
到处都是鸡粪|It's, like, covered in turds.
怎么会 我每天都会打扫干净|That's not true. I clean up after my girls every day.
我们只是不想伤害你|We just didn't wanna hurt your feelings.
之前的你全都扔了?|Have you always thrown them away?
斯特比和海姆斯太太一直花钱买我的鸡蛋|You know, Mrs. Steuby and Mrs. Helms pay me for my eggs.
是吗? 12个鸡蛋60美分|They do? They pay me 60 cents a dozen.
我并不知道|I didn't know.
你怎么能这样?|How could you?
对不起|I'm sorry.
不 你才不会|No, you're not.
很快我便意识到|It didn't take me long to realize
我和朱莉·贝克之前结下的成见|that I'd traded in my old problems with Juli Baker
会牵扯出很多新问题|for a whole set of new ones.
其实我更希望她来找我麻烦 而不是独自生闷气|It was actually worse having her mad at me than having her annoy me.
她对我视而不见|The way she ignored me was a constant reminder
就像在提醒我 我是个混蛋|that I'd been a jerk.
后来有一天我和加利特打完球回家|Then one day I was coming home from playing basketball with Garrett
诡异的事情发生了|and things got weird.
别这么没用 来吧 你不会伤到它们的|Don't be so timid. Come on, you won't hurt them.
像这样? 没错 就是这样|Like this? Yeah, that's it.
我外公|My grandfather.
他向来只穿拖鞋|All I ever saw him wear was slippers.
那双工作靴是哪来的?|Now, where did he get those work boots?
我总忍不住看看对面|I couldn't stop looking over there.
而且越看越生气|And the more I looked, the madder I got.
我外公一小时内跟朱莉说的话|My grandfather had already said more to Juli in one hour
比他跟我说过的所有话还要多|than he'd said to me in the whole time he'd been living with us.
而且我从没见他笑过|I was pretty sure I'd never seen him laugh.
他和朱莉·贝克究竟在干嘛?|And what was his deal with Juli Baker?
嗨 外公|Hi, Grandpa.
朱莉跟我说了鸡蛋的事|Juli told me about the eggs.
布莱斯|You know, Bryce
人的性格塑造于小时候|one's character is set at an early age.
我不希望你就这么迷失自我|I'd hate to see you swim out so far you can't swim back.
什么意思?|Sir?
做人要诚实 孩子|It's about honesty, son.
一时的隐忍难捱|Sometimes a little discomfort in the beginning
或许能让你免去一世的痛苦煎熬|can save a whole lot of pain down the road.
朱莉·贝克还真够记仇的|When it came to holding a grudge, Juli Baker was truly impressive.
我整个星期都在借机接近她|All week I tried to approach her at school.
她却千方百计地避开我|She'd always find some way to duck me.
等她回到家里 外公又总是陪着她|And whenever she was in her yard, Grandpa was always there with her.
终于在星期六那天 我的机会来了|Finally, one Saturday I saw my opening.
外公进城去买药了|My grandfather had gone into town to buy some Bengay.
估计是修整院落让他过于劳累|I guess the yard work was starting to get to him.
真漂亮啊|It's looking real good.
谢谢 这都是切特的功劳|Thanks. Chet did most of it.
我很抱歉自己的所作所为|I'm sorry for what I did.
我真想不明白 布莱斯 你为什么不直说呢?|I just don't get it, Bryce. Why didn't you just tell me?
我也不知道 我太傻了|I don't know. It was dumb.
我也不该对你家院子指手画脚|And I shouldn't have said anything about your yard, either.
那是不对的|It wasn't right.
也不尽然吧|Maybe it's all for the best.
我从切特身上学到很多 真是受益匪浅|I mean, look, I learned so much from Chet, it's amazing.
你很幸运|You're lucky.
我爷爷奶奶都不在了|I don't even have grandparents anymore.
我真替他难过|I feel sorry for him.
他非常思念你外婆|He misses your grandma.
你信吗? 他说我让他想起了你外婆|Can you believe it? He says I remind him of her.
什么? 是啊 我当时也是这个反应|What? I know. That's what I said.
他并不是那个意思 他说的是性格方面|But he meant it in a nice way. Something about her spirit.
是啊|Yeah.
祝你好运 你家的草坪一定会茂密如新|Good luck with the grass. I'm sure it'll come up great.
谢谢|Thanks.
那就以后见吧|I guess I'll see you around.
再见|I guess so.
我所期望的不仅仅是朱莉接受我的道歉|While Juli's acceptance of my apology was not all that I'd hoped for
但至少这场鸡蛋风波总算过去了|at least the eggs thing was finally behind me.
我总算能好好看一回"伯南扎牛仔"了|The first time in months I could truly enjoy Bonanza.
你这是要去哪 干嘛穿成这样?|Where you going and why you dressed like that?
斯凯勒家|Skyler's.
马特和马克会带录音设备|Matt and Mark are bringing over recording stuff
去录唱片小样|and they're gonna make a demo.
唱片小样? 以为自己有多专业啊|Demo? Like they know how to make a demo.
你压根不认识人家|You don't even know them.
没必要 这种人我很了解|I don't have to. I know the type.
你啥都不懂 别用这种口气跟我说话|You don't know anything. Don't talk to me like that.
我要迟到了 11点前必须回家|I'm late. Be back by 11.
没错 一切都重新回到正轨|Yep. Everything was back to normal.
那姑娘把你当免费劳动力呢?|Is that girl working you too hard?
她叫朱莉 她才没有为难我呢|That girl's name is Juli. And, no, she isn't working me too hard.
你对她可是异常温柔啊 对吧?|You've developed quite a soft spot for her, huh?
史蒂芬|Steven.
帕蒂 我就想知道你老爸是不是精力过剩|No, Patsy. Just wanna find out why your father has the energy
宁可去结交陌生人|to befriend a complete stranger
都不愿意陪亲外孙打棒球|when he won't throw a baseball around with his own grandson.
没事的 爸爸 不 这怎么行|It's okay, Dad. No, it's not okay.
朱莉让他想到了外婆|Juli reminds him of Grandma.
你说芮妮?|Of Renee? Heh.
太扯了吧|That's ridiculous.
你知道贝克家为什么不修整院落吗?|You know why the Bakers haven't fixed their yard?
因为他成天忙于作画呗|Yeah, because he's too busy with his paint-by-numbers kit.
如果你有个先天弱智的兄弟 你会怎么办?|If you had a brother with a severe handicap, what would you do?
没事说这个干嘛啊?|What the hell does that have to do with anything?
朱莉他叔叔是先天性弱智|Juli's father has a retarded brother.
那又怎样? 又没让他去修整院子|So what? He's not the gardener, is he? Heh.
史蒂芬|Steven.
开玩笑啦|It was a joke.
家家有本难念的经|You know, other people have family troubles
但人家却能修剪好自家草坪|and they manage to mow their own lawns.
亏他们还是房主|I don't know where their pride in ownership is.
那房子是他们租的|They don't own that house.
保养的事应该由房东负责|The landlord's supposed to maintain it.
贝克先生倾尽所有积蓄 用于照顾他弟弟|Mr. Baker puts every extra penny he has into caring for his brother.
政府部门不是会有救济吗?|Don't they have government facilities for that sort of thing?
他们觉得家人能给他最好的照顾|Maybe they thought that a private facility would be better for him.
不管怎样 他家的基因有问题|Either way, it's not our fault
不能怨咱们啊|that their family has some chromosomal abnormality.
这和基因没什么关系|It has nothing to do with chromosomes.
朱莉的叔叔出生时|When Juli's uncle was born,
脖子被脐带缠住了|he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck.
如果不是缺氧所致|If he'd had enough oxygen,
他也会和你儿子一样健康成长|he would've been a perfect little baby, just like your son.
说什么鬼话啊 切特|Goddamn it, Chet.
帕蒂 帕蒂 让我一个人待一会儿|Patsy? Patsy? Leave me alone!
对不起|Sorry about that.
妈妈为什么这么难过?|Why is Mom so upset?
因为|Because
多亏了上帝的恩宠|but for the grace of God
否则你妈妈也得和贝克先生同病相怜|your mother could be standing in Mr. Baker's shoes.
舅舅的脖子也被脐带缠过?|Did her brother have the cord wrapped around his neck too?
是你|You did.
所幸替你接生的医生经验丰富|Luckily, the doctor who delivered you was on the ball
及时把脐带解开了|and got it untangled
如果稍有不慎就会万劫不复|but it easily could've gone the other way.
去散散步吗? 什么?|Wanna go for a walk? Huh?
能让大脑清醒一下|I find it helps clear the mind.
如果不幸发生在我身上 他们会怎么做?|What would they have done with me?
我们无法预知未曾发生的事|You can't dwell on something that might've been, Bryce.
看我爸那架势|The way my dad was talking,
估计会把我扔进精神病院|sounds like he would've thrown me in a nuthouse.
不 别这么说 这对他不公平|No, no. Now, that's not fair.
你不能给他加上莫须有的罪名|You can't condemn him for something he hasn't done.
这就是那棵树 是吗?|This is where that tree was, wasn't it?
是的|Yeah.
上面的景色一定特别美妙|Must've been a spectacular view.
她是个好姑娘|She's quite a girl.
有些人会渐露平庸|Some of us get dipped in flat
有些人会小有所成|some in satin
还有人会出类拔萃|some in gloss.
但你偶尔才能遇上一个|But every once in a while
光彩夺目的人|you find someone who's iridescent.
当你真正遇到这一刻|And when you do
才能明白其中的美好|nothing will ever compare.
平庸 拔萃 光彩夺目?|Flat, glossy, iridescent?
到底是啥意思啊?|What the hell did that mean?
朱莉·贝克原本在我心里毫不起眼|Juli Baker had always just seemed plain to me.
直到这一刻才有所改观|Until now.
当她说起置身树梢的美妙感觉|And the way she talked about what it felt like to be up in that tree
远离地面 微风轻拂|to be held above the earth, brushed by the wind.
哪个初中生会说出这种话呢?|Who in junior high talks like that?
我心里涌出一种别样的感觉|This weird feeling started taking over in the pit of my stomach
我讨厌这种感觉|and I didn't like it.
我不能再错下去了|I was slipping, man.
是时候及时清醒了|And it was time to get a grip.
我从未因家庭的遭遇感到不幸|I'd never been embarrassed by where we lived before.
我也从没想过钱的问题|I also never really thought about money.
虽然我们并不富有 却也不觉生活贫乏|I knew we weren't rich, but I didn't feel like we were missing anything.
直到布莱斯·罗斯基说我家简直一团糟|That is, until Bryce Loski called our home a complete mess.
* 你叫什么名字? * * 你叫什么名字? *|* What's your name? * * What's your name? *
* 玛丽还是苏? *|* Is it Mary or Sue? *
* 你叫什么名字? *|* What's your name? *
* 我们能否在一起? *|* Do I stand a chance with you? *
* 我从未如此 *|* It's so hard to find a personality *
* 对他人感到着迷 *|* With charms like yours for me *
我必须有所行动 我很清楚应该怎么做|I had to do something and I knew what it was.
* 你叫什么名字? *|* What's your name? *
你们唱得真棒|Oh, you're sounding really good.
我们会去斯凯勒家的车库录音|We'll record it in Skyler's garage.
这计划真不错|That's a wonderful project.
说到计划|Speaking of projects,
我想把院子修整一下|I was thinking it might be cool to fix up the yard.
什么? 草种子应该不贵吧?|What? I mean, how much can grass seed cost?
我可以种块草坪 再种点花|I could plant a lawn, maybe some flowers.
甚至可以筑道篱笆|I could even put up a fence.
宝贝儿 这可是个大工程|Honey, that's a major undertaking.
我可以用卖鸡蛋的钱来修|I could pay for it with my egg money.
不行 那是你的钱|No. That's your money.
这事应该由房东来打理|The landlord should be the one taking care of all this.
可他不是毫无行动么 住在这里的人是我们|But he doesn't. And we live here.
院子看上去乱糟糟的|And it looks so bad.
朱莉|Jules.
出什么事了?|What's going on?
没什么 爸爸|Nothing, Dad.
没事的 宝贝儿|It's okay, sweetheart.
跟我们说说吧|You can tell us.
罗斯基他们家把鸡蛋都扔了|The Loskis have been throwing away my eggs
他们担心会有沙门氏菌|because they're afraid of salmonella.
因为我们家院子乱糟糟的|Because our yard is such a mess.
这话是帕蒂说的吗?|Did Patsy say that?
不是 布莱斯说的|No. Bryce did.
但他们全家肯定都这么想|But it must have been a family discussion.
小男孩是不会思考这种问题的|A boy doesn't come up with that on his own.
他们怎么想关我们什么事?|Who cares what they think?
就是啊 关我们什么事?|Yeah, who cares?
可我在意 蒂娜|I care. Trina.
别往心里去|Let's not get into this.
不 我受够了 理查德|No, I'm tired of living like this, Richard.
为了把账单付清 不得不去打小工|I'm tired of having to take temp jobs just to make ends meet.
必须把椅子放在洗衣机上|I'm tired of having to push a chair up against the washing machine
才能想办法把门关紧|just to keep the door shut.
我真的受够了 每次吸尘机一出毛病|I'm tired of having to borrow Mrs. Steuby's vacuum cleaner
就不得不厚着脸皮向斯特比太太借|every time ours breaks down.
你以为这是我想要的生活吗?|Do you think this is the life I pictured for us?
有时我们为了正确的选择 不得不做出牺牲|Sometimes you have to sacrifice to do the right thing.
我们都认为德文赫斯特是最适合丹尼尔的|We always end up agreeing that Devonhurst is the right thing for Daniel.
我们也是时候替自己好好考虑了|Well, maybe we should start thinking about what's right for us.
不能再因为无力修整庭院 让咱家闺女受委屈|Our daughter is suffering because we won't fix up our own yard.
这不是我们的院子|It's not our yard.
你怎么能说这种话 理查德? 你良心何在?|How can you say that, Richard? How?
我们在这足足住了12年|We've lived here for 12 years
我们口口声声说是暂居于此 但事实截然相反|and for 12 years we've been saying it's temporary, but it's not.
这就是我们的家|This is our home.
想住豪华大宅有错吗?|Is it wrong to wanna live somewhere you can be proud of?
想供孩子上大学有错吗?|To have enough to send your kids to college?
是时候考虑选择政府救济了|Maybe it's time we considered government care.
我们不能弃我弟弟于不顾|We are not moving my brother.
他比你自己的孩子还重要?|He's more important than your own children?
爸爸 你再给我说一句!|Dad! How dare you!
别吵了 爸爸 求你了 别这样|Stop it, Dad! Please, just stop.
对不起 朱莉安娜 这不是你的错|I'm sorry. Julianna, this is not your fault.
我们会想办法解决的 我向你保证|We'll work this out, I promise.
那是我第一次|That was the first time
看到父母大动干戈|I ever heard my parents really yell at each other.
今晚的事我很抱歉|I'm sorry about tonight.
他们都先后来到我房间|That night they each came into my room.
我爸爸说了叔叔的遭遇 说他很爱他|My father talked about his brother and how much he loved him
他曾经答应父母会永远照顾他|and how he promised his parents he'd always take care of him.
妈妈说她很爱爸爸|My mother talked about how much she loved my father
她爱他的坚强与善良|for his strength and kind heart.
她亲吻我向我道晚安|When she kissed me good night
在我耳边说道 我是她最大的骄傲|she whispered that of all her many blessings, I was her best.
我对爸爸充满歉疚|I felt sorry for my father.
亦对妈妈心怀歉疚|I felt sorry for my mother.
但更重要的是 我庆幸能成为他们的女儿|But most of all, I felt lucky for me that they were mine.
我觉得自己下决心整理院落|I wanted to think the reason I started working on my yard
和布莱斯的话毫无关系|had nothing to do with Bryce.
我只想让这个家更为温馨|It was about making our house better.
他既然能扔掉我送的鸡蛋|After what he did with the eggs,
我又何必在乎他的想法?|why should I care what he thought?
但我始终还是在乎|But I did.
你到底是想修剪枝桠 还是伐木啊?|Are you pruning that or trying to hack it to death?
嗨 我是切特·邓肯 布莱斯的外公|Hi. I'm Chet Duncan, Bryce's grandfather.
不好意思 过了这么久才来打招呼|Sorry it's taken me so long to come over and introduce myself.
很高兴认识你|Nice to meet you.
你是想把它们修剪平整吗?|So are you trimming all these to the same height?
没错 我就是这么想的 却不知如何下手|Well, yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I don't know.
你觉得把它拔了会不会好看一点?|Do you think it would look better to take them out?
这是红豆杉灌木 会越来越漂亮的|Oh, these are Hicksii shrubs. These will prune up nicely.
听我说 邓肯先生|Listen, Mr. Duncan.
叫我切特就好|Call me Chet.
切特|Chet.
如果你是因为布莱斯说的那些话而来|If you're here because of what Bryce said
那就大可不必了|I don't need your help.
我在报纸上看到关于你的报道|Read about you in the paper.
芮妮如果还在 一定会陪你坐在树梢|Renee would've sat up in that tree with you.
她可以在上面坐上整夜|She would've sat up there all night.
芮妮?|Renee?
我妻子|My wife.
你让我不自觉想起她|You remind me a lot of her.
我们在院子里忙活了几个星期|We worked on the yard for weeks.
我们一边干活 一边聊天|And the whole time we worked, we talked.
你那好了没? 好了|Right there? Perfect, yeah.
他想了解无花果树|He wanted to know more about the sycamore tree.
他非常清楚|He knew exactly what it meant
整体胜于部分的总和是什么意思|about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
他说人也如此|He said it was the same with people
但有时候 人还没那么好|but sometimes with people, the whole could be less.
我觉得很有意思|I thought that was pretty interesting.
我开始重新审视从小学就认识的人们|I started looking at people I'd known since elementary school
想知道他们|trying to figure out if they were
是不是整体胜于全部|more or less than the sum of their parts.
切特说得对 很多人还不如|Chet was right. A lot of them were less.
在我所有同学中 只有布莱斯不知该归到哪类|Of all my classmates, the one person I couldn't seem to place was Bryce.
要是以前 我会极其肯定地说|Until recently, I would've said with absolute certainty
他的整体远远好于全部|that he was greater, far greater, than the sum of his parts.
但现在我不确定了|But now I wasn't so sure.
很漂亮的院子啊 朱莉 干得好|It's looking good, Juli. Nice job.
谢谢 这都是切特的功劳|Thanks. Chet did most of it.
我很抱歉自己的所作所为|I'm sorry for what I did.
我真想不明白 布莱斯|I just don't get it, Bryce.
你为什么不直说呢?|Why didn't you just tell me?
他是真的抱歉吗?|Was he really sorry?
还是他这样说只是为了让自己好受一点?|Or was he just saying these things to make himself feel better?
于是我在想 也许他的好|Then I thought maybe I just wanted him
都只是我的一厢情愿|to be more than the sum of his parts.
但当我直视他的双眼|But as I looked into his eyes
那双忽闪忽闪的眼睛|those dazzling eyes
有生以来第一次|for the first time
我十分确定布莱斯·罗斯基没那么好|I was pretty sure that Bryce Loski was less.
我们要请贝克一家来吃晚餐|We're going to invite the Bakers over for dinner.
啥? 我不懂 妈妈|What? I don't know, Mom.
好主意啊|I think that's a marvelous idea.
帕蒂 什么理由?|Patsy, what purpose does this serve?
蒂娜·贝克人很好|Trina Baker is a very nice person.
马特和马克也很有意思 讨厌有意思的人|And Matt and Mark are really cool. I hate cool.
早就该请他们过来了|Something we should've done years ago.
对啊 但一直没请 现在请不了了|Yeah, but we didn't. And now we can't.
时效已经过了|The statute of limitations has run out.
我们要请贝克一家来吃晚餐|We're having the Bakers over for dinner.
如果是因为我昨晚说错话了 对不起 行了吧|If this is about what I said last night, I'm sorry, okay?
但是 请他们吃饭又治不好他哥哥|But, you know, having them over for dinner is not gonna fix his brother.
到时是晚宴的形式|It's going to be a sit-down dinner.
我希望大家衣着得体一点|And I expect everyone to dress accordingly.
天哪 来一顿烧烤不行吗?|Oh, God. Can't we just have a barbecue?
是晚宴|It's going to be a sit-down dinner.
杀了我吧|Just shoot me now.
小心梦想成真|Careful what you wish for.
于是就这样了|So that was it.
想到不久就要和朱莉·贝克参加衣衫楚楚的晚宴|A dress-up, sit-down dinner with Juli Baker was in my immediate future.
在学校看见她 我就更不自在了|And that made seeing Juli at school more uncomfortable.
我发现上课时我总爱盯着她看|I found myself staring at her in class.
她头发散落在肩上的样子|And the way her hair fell back over her shoulders
像极了她在报纸上那张照片|she looked just like the picture in the newspaper.
戴娜·切斯勒发现我在看她|Dana Tressler caught me watching.
要是不反应快点 这事就得传开了|If I didn't do something fast, this could spread like wildfire.
她头发里有只蜜蜂|There was a bee in her hair.
看见没 飞走了|See, there it goes.
没有蜜蜂|There's no bee.
从窗户飞出去了|It flew out the window.
我说服自己要逃过此劫|I convinced myself I'd dodged a bullet.
我必须把朱莉从脑海中抹去|I had to put Juli out of my mind.
我把重心放到作业这些事上|Keep the focus on the important stuff like schoolwork.
可我胆子太小了|My weakness was unnerving.
我要用你的削笔刀|I need your sharpener.
你没学过敲门吗?|You ever heard of knocking?
在看什么呢! 爸爸的"花花公子"吗?|Hey, what you got there? Dad's Playboy?
关你毛事|None of your business.
代我向十月的封面小妞问好 出去|Give my best to Miss October. Get out.
或者向你问好? 你恶不恶心|Or should I say your best? Ha, ha. You're disgusting.
又躲过一场灾难|Another disaster avoided.
我的生活从此充满危险|My life had become a minefield.
嗨 伙计 嗨|Hey, man. Hey.
这是什么|What's this?
不是你想的那样|It's not what you think.
好吧 就是你想的那样 但我可以解释|Okay, it is what you think, but I can explain.
好吧 我没法解释 这事能晚点再聊吗|Okay, I can't explain. Can we just talk about it later?
随便|Whatever you say.
我必须找人聊聊|I had to talk to someone.
不如加利特吧 可能他能让我清醒过来|Why not Garrett? Maybe he could help me get back on track.
从内心来说 加利特着实吃了一惊|Garrett was surprisingly sensitive in matters of the heart.
你疯了吗? 朱莉·贝克 你是讨厌她的|Are you freaking mental? Juli Baker. You hate her.
所以才奇怪啊 我觉得我不讨厌她|That's what's weird. I don't think I do.
我总是在想她|I can't stop thinking about her.
你把事情搞砸了 那我该怎么办?|You got it bad, man. Well, what do I do?
你要把这种感情扼杀在萌芽状态 它是假的|Well, you gotta nip this in the bud. These aren't real emotions.
为什么是假的?|They're not?
你是因为扔鸡蛋的事有负罪感|You feel guilty because of the egg thing.
嗯 我还侮辱她的院子了|Yeah, and I insulted her yard.
对啊 当然 那地方的确像个垃圾场|Exactly. Of course, the place is a dump anyways.
这不是她的错 她爸爸有个智障哥哥|It's not her fault. Her dad's got a retarded brother
家里的钱都拿去给他治病了|and all their money goes to helping him.
智障? 操 你也该看出来一些事吧|A retard? Well, shoot, that ought to tell you something.
什么事? 朱莉的|About what? About Juli.
你说什么?|What are you saying?
树上掉下的苹果 能落到多远|The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
我不信 我想骂他|I couldn't believe it. I wanted to yell at him.
告诉他他不像我这样了解朱莉|Tell him that he didn't know Juli like I did.
但一张口就变成了:|But all that came out was:
哦 原来如此|Heh, oh.
是啊 对啊|Right. Yeah.
好 我先走了 晚点找你|Right. Um, I'll talk to you later.
我本该放学后去找加利特的|I was supposed to go to Garrett's after school
但我不想跟他一块了|but I couldn't be around him.
他已经越界了|He'd crossed the line.
跟他一道越界的还有我爸爸|And standing right next to him across that line was my father.
我不在乎他们怎么想的|I didn't care what they thought.
我喜欢朱莉·贝克|I liked Juli Baker.
每到周日早晨 我家就充满祥和宁静|Sunday mornings are peaceful in our house.
爸爸会睡到自然醒|My dad lets himself sleep in.
妈妈懒得做早餐|My mother lets herself not fix breakfast.
如果我两个哥哥出去玩乐队|If my brothers have been out late playing with their band
中午之前你都找不到他们在哪儿|you won't even know they're around till noon.
但这个周天 我一觉醒来就觉得不自在|But this Sunday, I woke up feeling weird.
我必须摆脱自己对布莱斯的困惑|I had to do something to shake off the confused feelings about Bryce
这种困惑越来越强烈了|that were starting to creep back in.
你干得真不错啊|You really did it, didn't you? Heh.
为你骄傲 谢谢 爸爸|Proud of you. Thanks, Dad.
你要去哪儿? 去看丹尼尔 今天是他的生日|Where you going? To see Daniel. It's his birthday.
我也想去|I wanna come with you.
宝贝 享受这个早上吧 和妈妈一起呆着|Oh, honey, just enjoy the morning, stay with your mom.
不 爸爸 我想去|No, Dad. I wanna come.
宝贝 听着|Sweetheart, listen.
有时 跟丹尼尔...|Sometimes, with Daniel...
我要来 爸爸|I'm coming, Dad.
好吧|Okay.
我们该给妈妈留张纸条哈|We'd better leave a note for your mother.
这些年来 我从没拜访过丹尼尔伯伯|In all the years, I'd never visited my Uncle Daniel.
我不明白为什么 爸爸总是一个人去的|I don't know why. It was always something my dad did alone.
去德文赫斯特的路上我们没怎么说话|We didn't say much to each other on the drive to Devonhurst,
但我并不介意|but I didn't care.
我就喜欢和爸爸呆在一起|I just liked being with my dad.
有时沉默对我们而言|Somehow the silence seemed to connect us in a way
无声胜有声|that words never could.
让病人料理草坪 也是其中一种治疗方法|The residents tend to the grounds as part of their therapy.
有人要花些时间才能适应 但他们都是好人|It takes some getting used to. They're good people, though.
丹尼尔?|Daniel?
丹尼尔|Daniel.
理查德! 你来啦|Richard! You're here!
理查德来给我过生日啦|Richard for my birthday.
她是谁? 理查德 她是谁|Who? Richard, who? Who?
她是谁 理查德 她是谁|Who? Who? Richard, who? Who?
丹尼尔 丹尼尔 她是朱莉安娜 我女儿|Daniel, Daniel, it's Julianna. It's my daughter.
是你的侄女|Your niece.
朱莉安娜|Julianna.
朱莉安娜 生日快乐 丹尼尔伯伯|Ha, Julianna. Happy birthday, Uncle Daniel.
呵呵 理查德 今天是我的生日|Ha-ha-ha. Richard. It's my birthday.
我有你的照片 朱莉安娜 我有你的照片|I have your pictures, Julianna. I have your pictures.
我们给你准备了一份礼物|We have a present for you.
拼图吗? 是拼图吗 理查德|A puzzle? A puzzle, Richard?
不仅仅是拼图|Not just a puzzle.
有拼图 还有...|A puzzle and a
风车|pinwheel.
风车! 谢谢你 理查德|A pinwheel! Thank you, Richard.
太好了|Yes.
橙色的 出去玩不? 出去玩吧 理查德|Orange. Outside? Outside, Richard?
你想出去吗 好 我们就去麦克艾略特餐厅|You wanna go outside? All right, we'll go to, uh, McEIliot's.
我们走过去吃冰激凌 冰激凌!|We'll walk out there for an ice cream. Ice cream!
哦 不行 不行 我们不能去|Oh, no. No, no, we can't.
丹尼尔不喜欢吃冰激凌|Daniel doesn't like ice cream.
我喜欢冰激凌 丹尼尔 我只是开玩笑|I do like ice cream, Richard. I'm only kidding.
我知道你喜欢吃冰激凌 啊!|I know you like ice cream. Ahh!
你喜欢吃冰激凌 好了 走吧|You love ice cream. All right, come on.
给你 拿着 哇|Here you go. Got it? Ah!
给你|Here you go.
今天我生日|It's my birthday.
甜筒 今天我生日|Lollipop. It's my birthday.
你喜欢吗? 啊!|You like it? Oh!
没事 丹尼尔 等等 冰激凌 冰激凌|All right, Daniel. Okay, wait, wait. Ice cream. Ice cream.
我的冰激凌 我的冰激凌 没事 丹尼尔|My ice cream. My ice cream. Ugh! It's okay. Daniel.
丹尼尔|Daniel!
丹尼尔 算了吧 我再给你买|Daniel! Leave it, I'll get y...
冰激凌掉地上了 冰激凌掉地上了|Ice cream on the floor. Ice cream on the floor.
你再去给他买一支吧|Would you go get him another cone?
好的 我要冰激凌 理查德|Yeah. I need ice cream, Richard!
今天是我生日 理查德 今天我生日|It's my birthday, Richard. It's my birthday!
冰激凌 理查德! 冰激凌 理查德!|Ice cream, Richard! Ice cream, Richard!
停下 停下|Stop! Stop it!
我要冰激凌! 停下 停下|I need it! Stop it! Stop it!
看 冰激凌|Here we go. Ice cream!
理查德! 好了 这有冰激凌|Richard! Okay, okay. I've got some ice cream.
生日的冰激凌 太好了 理查德|Birthday ice cream. That's good, Richard.
对不起 他以前不是这样的|I'm so sorry. He hasn't done anything like that
我经常听爸爸提起生活对丹尼尔来说有多么困难|I'd often heard my father talk about how difficult life was for Daniel.
但直到现在 我才真正体会到了|But I never really understood it until now.
你看 呵呵 橙色风车|Yeah, there you go. Heh. Orange.
在回去的路上 丹尼尔表现得跟没事人一样|On the walk back, Daniel acted like nothing had happened.
吹这边 吹这边|Other way. Other way.
回家的路上 爸爸告诉我丹尼尔伯伯|On the ride home, my dad told me that Uncle Daniel
在我们出生前 跟他和妈妈一起住|used to live with him and Mom before we were born.
但过了一段时间 就不那么容易相处了|But after a while, it became too difficult.
回到家中 一切看上去和平常一样|When we got home, everything looked the same.
但实际上已经不是了|But it wasn't.
今天以前 丹尼尔对我来说只是一个名字|Before today, Daniel had always been just a name to me.
但现在 他是我们家庭的一份子了|Now he was part of the family.
嗨 嗨|Hey. Hey.
今天咋样|How'd it go?
很高兴我去了|I'm glad I went.
我也为你高兴|I'm glad you went too.
蒂娜 今天周日 你拖地板干嘛|Trina, it's Sunday. What are you doing mopping the floor?
帕蒂·罗斯基邀请我们周五去她家吃晚餐|Patty Loski invited us over for dinner Friday night.
那应该她在家拖地板啊|Shouldn't she be mopping her floor?
难道她要借我们的地板?|Or did she ask to borrow ours?
我这不是紧张嘛|Nervous energy.
她邀请我们所有人了吗? 是啊|Did she invite all of us? Yes, she did.
连我们的朋友萨尔·莫利纳也邀请了?|Even our friend Sal Monella?
理查德|Richard.
这么多年了 她什么意思|Why, after all these years?
她说她很抱歉 以前都没请过我们|Well, she said she felt really bad that they hadn't invited us before
很显然 他们想进一步了解我们|and apparently they want to get to know us better.
你想去吗?|And you wanna go?
她坚持要我们去啊|Well, she insisted.
我觉得我们会相处得很好的|And I think it would be really nice.
好吧|All right.
我们去就是了|We'll go.
和罗斯基一家吃晚餐 我并不惊讶|I wasn't too thrilled about dinner with the Loskis
但我知道 对妈妈来说这很重要|but I could see it meant a lot to my mother.
第二天在学校 我没法专心学习|At school the next day, I couldn't seem to concentrate.
我不停地想起丹尼尔|My thoughts kept running back to Daniel.
我在想 我的祖父母养育他这样的儿子|I wondered what my grandparents had gone through
经受了多少困难|having a son like him
突然我的思路被打断了|when reality interrupted.
布莱斯·罗斯基喜欢你 什么?|Bryce Loski likes you. What?
他对你超有感觉|He's got a big crush on you.
你在说什么? 布莱斯·罗斯基对我没好感的|What are you talking about? Bryce Loski does not have a crush on me.
是吗? 自然课上 我看见他盯着你看|Oh, yeah? In science, I caught him staring at you.
他说因为你头发里有只蜜蜂|He said it was because there was a bee in your hair.
这简直是最傻的借口|Is that the lamest cover-up or what?
可能真的有蜜蜂吧|Maybe there was a bee.
你唯一吸引的蜜蜂就是布莱斯童鞋|The only bee you're attracting is B-R-Y-C-E.
告诉你吧 这孩子已经陷入爱河了|I'm telling you, that boy is lost in love land.
跟我来 去哪儿|Come on. Where?
我看见他和加利特溜到那边去了 来吧|I saw him sneaking off with Garrett. Come on.
你疯了吗? 朱莉·贝克 你是讨厌她的|Are you freaking mental? Juli Baker. You hate her.
所以才奇怪啊 我觉得我不讨厌她|That's what's so weird. I don't think I do.
我总是在想她|I can't stop thinking about her.
你把事情搞砸了 那我该怎么办?|You got it bad, man. What do I do?
你要把这种感情扼杀在萌芽状态|You gotta nip this in the bud.
它是假的 为什么是假的?|These aren't real emotions. They're not?
你是因为扔鸡蛋的事有负罪感|You feel guilty because of the egg thing.
嗯 我还侮辱她的院子了|Yeah, and I insulted her yard.
当然 那地方的确像个垃圾场|Exactly. The place is a dump anyways.
这不是她的错 她爸爸有个智障哥哥|It's not her fault. Her dad's got a retarded brother
家里的钱都拿去给他治病了|and all their money goes to helping him.
智障? 操 你也该看出来一些事吧|A retard? Well, that ought to tell you something.
什么事? 朱莉的|About what? About Juli.
你说什么?|What are you saying?
树上掉下的苹果 能落到多远|The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, my friend.
哦 原来如此 对啊 是啊|Oh, heh. Yeah. Right. Yeah.
我先走了 一会找你|I'll talk to you later.
好的|Okay.
对不起 我以为...|I'm sorry. I thought...
没事 我很好|It's okay. It's fine.
我真的没事|And it was.
因为现在我的困惑消失了|Because now my confusion was gone.
我确定自己不再喜欢布莱斯·罗斯基了|I was sure I no longer liked Bryce Loski.
妈 你这是要让贝克一家觉得自己倍有面子吗|Mom, are you trying to make the Bakers feel totally worthless?
我只想友善点|I want it to be nice.
你怎么还没穿好衣服? 马上|And why aren't you dressed? I'm going.
我想让朱莉觉得我穿得很帅|I wanted to look good for Juli.
但我不想让他觉得我是为了她才这样打扮|But I didn't want her to think that I wanted to look good for her.
要把身体的线条穿出来|It was a fine line.
很有型那种|A very fine line.
布莱斯 他们到了 快下来|Bryce, they're here. Come on down.
来了|Coming!
嗨 快进来|Hey, come on in.
进来坐 进来坐|Come in, come in.
感谢你们大驾光临啊 丽奈特 史蒂芬 来客人了|I'm glad you could make it. Lynetta, Steven, company's here.
来了 这是什么 自制馅饼吗?|Coming! What is this? Homemade pie?
对 山核桃和蓝莓做的芝士蛋糕|Yes, it's pecan and blueberry cheesecake.
放到厨房去吧|Let's take them to the kitchen.
你们好 精神不错啊|Hi, guys. Hey, looking good.
这是我爸爸 嗨 我是丽奈特|This is my dad. Hi, I'm Lynetta.
嗨 很高兴终于见到你了|Hi, nice to finally meet you.
我也很高兴认识你|Nice to meet you too.
我儿子跟我说... 嗨 老兄|My boys are telling me that... Hey, big guy.
嗨 史蒂芬 你好吗|Hey, Steven. How are you?
我们早该聚聚了 进来吧|We should've done this a long time ago. Come on in.
你们家真漂亮|This is a cool place.
凑合吧 来给你们看我的房间|Yeah, it's all right. Come on, I'll show you my room.
你该听听我们写的新歌|You gotta hear this new song we wrote.
真不错|It's so good.
嗨|Hi.
你打扮得很漂亮|You look nice.
我听见你和加利特在图书馆嘲笑我伯伯|I heard you and Garrett making fun of my uncle in the library.
我不想理你了|And I don't wanna speak to you.
永远也不想理你了|Not now, not ever.
要我说 你可以 但你的看法|And I say you can. But what you're proposing
是要用到一台永动机 这是不可能的|would require a perpetual-motion machine, so it's not possible.
如果你用一个中性导体传导正负两极|If you had two opposite charged poles with a neutral conductor
永动机?|Perpetual motion?
我就站那 内心凌乱中 而他们居然在讨论永动机|Here I was, dying inside, and they were talking about perpetual motion.
朱莉怎么知道永动机这些名堂的?|And how did Juli know about all that stuff?
来吧 晚餐好了 丽奈特|Come on, everybody, dinner's ready. Lynetta!
晚饭好了|Dinner!
朱莉 能听我解释吗|Juli, can I talk to you?
加利特说得不对 我知道|It was wrong, what Garrett said. I know it.
他那样说的时候 你就知道不对了吗|Did you know it was wrong when he said it?
嗯 我想揍他的|Yeah. I wanted to punch him.
但那时在图书馆嘛|But we were in the library.
所以刚好相反 你赞同他说的 还跟他一起笑|So instead you just agreed with him and laughed.
嗯|Yeah.
所以你表现得像个懦夫|Then that makes you a coward.
整顿晚餐 我都傻愣愣地坐在朱莉对面|I had to sit across from Juli for an entire dinner.
爸爸说得对|My dad was right.
我们应该吃烧烤的|We should have barbecued.
我只想说 能邀请你们共进晚餐是多么美好|I just want to say how wonderful it is to have you share a meal with us.
可能这只是我们以后无数次晚餐的开始|May it be the first of many.
嗓子痒|Wrong pipe.
我们也开心极了|Well, we couldn't be happier.
我们能到你家做客 都感到很荣幸|We are just all so thrilled to be here.
朱莉 你把你们家院子收拾得真漂亮|Juli, you did a really nice job on your yard.
谢谢 切特帮了大忙|Thanks. Chet was a big help.
嗯 我知道|Yeah, I know.
你必须把秘诀告诉我|You gotta tell me your secret.
切特在家是什么事都不肯做的|I can't get him to do a thing around here.
史蒂芬 我开玩笑的|Steven. I kid.
跟你说 这个街坊就快恢复生机了|I'm telling you, the neighborhood is really coming to life.
新修的房子也快成形了|I mean, that new house is taking shape.
哪个?|Which one?
就是挨着以前那棵丑八怪大树的房子|You know, the one where they cut down that big ugly tree.
我想说很多人都喜欢那棵树 但不包括我|I wanted to say that a lot of people liked that tree, but I didn't.
我不想反驳爸爸|I didn't want to go against my dad.
有人认为那棵树是这片小区的珍珠|Some people thought that tree was the jewel of the neighborhood.
嗯 这样说的人什么品味啊|Yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste.
马特 马克 马克 马特|So, Matt, Mark, Mark, Matt
你们过阵子就该毕业了吧|You guys are, uh, gonna be graduating soon, huh?
嗯 谢天谢地啊|Yeah, thank God.
你们不喜欢高中吗|You don't like high school?
你开玩笑? 不喜欢|You kidding? No.
高中是我生命中最快乐的时光|High school was the best time of my life.
对我们来说不是 我们已经受够了高中|Not for us, no. Yeah, we've had enough of that scene.
所以 你们不打算读大学了?|So college is probably out of the question, huh?
不 可能去读|No, it's a possibility.
其实他们已经|They've actually been accepted
被几所大学录取了 就是|at several places already. Yes, they have.
真的吗|Really?
太好了|Well, that's good.
但是 我们想先做做音乐|But, um, we're gonna give music a shot first.
真的? 他们在音乐方面很有天分|Really? Oh, they are very talented.
他们的乐队很棒|Oh, their band is really boss.
他们录了些唱片小样 很好听的|They did a bunch of demos and they're really cool.
谢谢 丽奈特|Thanks, Lyn.
我第一次认识史蒂芬 他正在乐队里演奏|When Steven and I first met, he was playing in a band.
你在乐队里演奏?|You played in a band?
他是一个出色的萨克斯风手|He was a wonderful saxophone player.
不错啊 你还在演奏吗? 其实我...|Cool. You still play? Well, I...
如果你愿意 你可以抽时间来加入我们|Well, if you want, you can come jam out with us sometime.
你们...|Uh, you...
我的意思是 不用了|No, I mean Heh.
我很久不吹了|That's not me anymore.
你们在舞台上表演过吗?|Have you boys ever performed in front of an audience?
很多次了|A lot of times.
马特和马克聊音乐聊得越多|The more Matt and Mark talked about their musical exploits
我爸爸就越沉默|the quieter my dad got.
他尝试伪装出一副笑脸|He tried to plaster on a smile now and then
但内心里他很难过|but underneath he seemed really sad.
但我父母一开始不喜欢他|But my parents didn't like him at first.
共和党强烈抵触新政|Republicans fought like crazy against the New Deal.
晚餐后半截过得不痛不痒|The rest of the evening was painless enough.
但整顿饭下来 朱莉一个字也没对我说|But through it all, Juli didn't say a word to me.
连看都不看我一眼|Never even looked at me.
直到她快要离开|Until she was about to leave.
我刚进来时情绪太激动了 很抱歉|I'm sorry I was so angry when we first came in.
大家今晚都过得很开心|I think everyone had a good time.
你妈妈邀请我们来吃饭 她真好|Your mom was really nice to invite us.
再见|See you.
她的道歉让事情变得更糟|Her apology made things worse.
嗨 等等我 我知道我还是没被原谅|Hey, wait for me. I knew I wasn't forgiven.
就像我根本不重要 不值得她生气一样|It was like I wasn't even important enough to hold a grudge against.
我觉得他们一家挺好的|Well, I think they're a delightful family.
那两个儿子跟我想的完全不一样|Those boys were nothing like I expected.
我觉得他们特别优秀|I thought they were very nice young men.
小兔崽子 什么?|Hoodlums. What?
你觉得他们买得起录音设备吗?|How you think they can afford all that recording gear?
史蒂芬 别说了 你不能随便下判断|Steven, please. You can't just make an accusation like that.
别这么天真 帕蒂|Don't be so naive, Patsy.
你知道录一支试样要多少钱吗?|Do you know how expensive it is to record a demo?
他们说不定还去偷毂盖来凑钱呢|They're probably stealing hubcaps, for chrissake.
你真混账|You are such an asshole.
你他妈到底怎么回事?|What is the matter with you?
去死吧|Go to hell.
不准那样跟我说话|Don't you talk to me like that.
史蒂芬 站在|Steven, stop!
没人敢在我的房子里|Nobody talks to me like that
那样跟我说话! 回来!|in my own house! Stop!
我以前见过爸爸生气的样子 但这次不同|I'd seen my father angry before, but this was different.
那晚我躺在床上|As I lay in bed that night
思考为什么爸爸总是瞧不起贝克一家|I thought about how my dad always looked down on the Bakers.
他总说他们是废物 还嘲笑贝克先生的画|And how he'd called them trash and made fun of Mr. Baker's paintings.
现在我知道 他只是不满意自己|And now I realized he was just mad at himself.
但为什么呢|But why?
朱莉说我是懦夫|Juli called me a coward.
难道我爸爸也是懦夫|Was it possible my dad was a coward too?
不知道|I didn't know.
有什么区别吗|What difference did it make?
朱莉·贝克从我的生活中消失了|Juli Baker was out of my life.
或者更确切地说|Or, more accurately
我从她的生活中消失了|I was out of hers.
我在为罗斯基家的晚宴准备衣服时|As I was getting dressed for the Loskis' dinner party
我一直盯着爸爸以前给我的那幅画|I found myself staring at the painting my father had given me
不禁一肚子气|and became furious all over again.
布莱斯从来都不算我的朋友|Bryce had never been a friend to me, ever.
砍树的时候他没站住我这边|He hadn't taken my side about the tree
他扔掉我的鸡蛋|he'd thrown away my eggs
他还开我伯伯的玩笑|and he made fun of me at my uncle's expense.
当妈妈催我们出发时...|When my mother called that it was time to go...
朱莉 快点 要迟到了|Juli, let's go, we're late!
我想了千百个借口告诉她|I went out with every intention of telling her
我不去吃饭了|that I wasn't going to the Loskis.
拿好这个 我要再次快速地理理发型|Please hold these. I need to check my hair really quickly one more time.
你的发型棒极了 真的吗|Your hair is perfect. Really?
但她看起来如此高兴|But she looked so happy
她为了做这些馅饼花了那么多心思 我不能不去|and she'd gone to so much trouble over the pies that I couldn't.
天哪 差点毁了|Ooh! Oh, my gosh. Oh, God, what a disaster.
好了 拿一个 你拿一个|Okay. Here, hold one, and you hold this.
我不想拿 我不会让你拿的|I don't wanna hold it. I won't have you hold it.
儿子们 出发吧|Let's go, boys.
但这不代表我要对布莱斯友善|But that didn't mean I had to be nice to Bryce.
我不想和你说话了|And I don't wanna speak to you.
现在不想 一辈子都不想了|Not now, not ever.
主动权在我手里的感觉真好|It felt good to take charge.
我觉得自己能掌控一切 我告诉布莱斯我的想法|I felt strong, in control. I told Bryce what I thought
也决心晚上不再跟他说话|and I was determined not to talk to him for the rest of the evening.
晚餐时 我突然觉得|At dinner it struck me that
我们在和一群陌生人共进晚餐|we were sharing a meal with a group of strangers.
我们本来常年住在罗斯基家对街 不相来往|We'd lived across the street from the Loskis for years
除了切特 这些人我都不了解|but except for Chet, I didn't know these people at all.
罗斯基先生表面上看起来很干净整洁|Mr. Loski was clean and smooth on the outside
但他内心似乎装着|but it seemed like there was something rotten
什么腐烂掉的东西|buried just beneath the surface.
晚饭快结束的时候 我觉得我像个局外人 旁观者|By the end of the evening, all I felt was detached, neutral.
没有烟火 没有残余的气愤|No fireworks, no leftover anger
没有奉承谁|no flutters, nothing.
再见|See you.
我入睡的时候 感觉很平和|I went to bed that night feeling peaceful.
你还好吗? 很好啊|You okay? Yeah.
我很庆幸 有现在这样的家庭|I was grateful that I had the family I had.
我再也不用关心布莱斯·罗斯基了 这感觉真好|And it felt good to no longer care about Bryce Loski.
跟贝克一家共进晚餐后 我的人品就一路狂跌|The dinner with the Bakers had taken its toll on me.
学校一年一度的筹款活动到了|Then the annual school fundraiser arrived
我陷入一堆新难题|and I found myself with a whole new set of problems.
我要做篮子男孩|I was a Basketboy.
要欣赏篮子男孩遭到羞辱的盛况|To fully appreciate the humiliation of being a Basketboy
你要知道被选中的男孩|you need to know that the chosen few
要当着所有同学的面|are auctioned off in front of the student body
被拍卖给出价最高的女生|to the highest-bidding females.
虽然我们每个人都在篮子里放了午饭|Yes, technically, each of us comes with a lunch in a basket
但还是不要自欺欺人了 这是裸男大游行|but let's not kid ourselves. This was a beefcake parade.
我的偶像 在这呢|There he is, my idol.
一句话 你死定了|One word, you're a dead man.
不 我认真的 你肯定不相信我|No, man, I'm serious. Listen, you won't believe this.
什么?|What?
两个极品小妞正在争着要你呢|Two of the hottest chicks are fighting over you.
你在说什么? 雪利和米奇分手了|What are you talking about? Sherry is breaking up with Mitch.
她和米娜妮会在拍卖会上争夺你|She and Melanie are having a bidding war over you.
我不在乎|I don't care.
你傻了吗? 雪利跟米奇分手是因为你|Are you nuts? Sherry dumped Mitch because of you.
你是我的偶像|You're my idol.
虽然成为加利特的偶像让人欣慰|As comforting as it was to be Garrett's idol
但是要做篮子男孩 想想就很害怕|it didn't diminish the horror of being Basketboy number nine.
我唯一的期望就是来场龙卷风|And my only hope was that a giant tornado
在拍卖会之前把学校夷为平地|would destroy the school before the event.
几乎没有可能|It was a long shot.
欢迎大家|Welcome, everyone
参加今年梅菲尔德拍卖会|to this year's Mayfield Boosters Club Auction.
再一次让我们荣幸地请出|Once again we are pleased to present
20位梅菲尔德的年轻人 布莱斯 布莱斯|20 of Mayfield's finest young men Bryce, Bryce.
布莱斯|Bryce.
你来这干什么 朱莉坐第三排|What are you doing here? Juli's in the third row.
然后呢? 她拿了一大把钱|So? So she's got a wad of cash.
鬼话 真话|Bullshit. Bull-true.
我看见她在储物柜旁数钱了|I saw her counting it by her locker.
现在|And now
请用热烈的掌声|please give a big Mayfield School welcome
欢迎1963年的篮子男孩们|to your 1963 Basketboys.
朱莉带现金了? 这代表什么?|Juli with cash? What did this mean?
她有可能向我投标吗|Was it possible she was gonna bid on me?
第一位 我们请到了|First up, we have
雷蒙·休|Raymond Hughes.
雷蒙来自围棋队|Raymond's on the chess team
他喜欢集邮和玩悠悠球|and his hobbies include stamp collecting and the yo-yo.
记住 当你竞标时|Remember, when you bid
你得到的不止是帅气的休先生|you'll not only be getting the handsome Mr. Hughes
你还会享受|you'll also be enjoying
一份可爱的鸡肉沙拉三明治|a lovely chicken-salad sandwich
和一份看上去很香的豆酱|and what looks to be a tasty bean dip, and
对不起 是洋葱沙司|Oh. Excuse me, onion dip.
和一大片樱桃派|And a big slice of cherry pie.
好了 起拍价5美元|Okay, who will start the bidding at $5?
拍卖开始了 有人吗|Thus began the bidding. Anybody?
或者就雷蒙·休个案来说 没有出价的|Or in Raymond Hughes' case, the lack of bidding.
很好 就是你了|Very good, here we go.
5美元 一次|Five. Sold.
10美元 一次|Ten dollars. Sold.
15美元 一次|Fifteen. Sold.
有出10美元的吗|Come on. Do I hear 10?
10美元 10美元|Ten. Ten.
10美元 花生酱香蕉三明治|Ten. Peanut-butter-and-banana sandwich.
15美元|Fifteen.
15美元成交|Sold for $15.
第八位是艾迪·图鲁克|Number eight is Eddie Trulock.
艾迪是辩论队的一员|Eddie is a member of the debate team.
现在我和拍卖台之间只隔着艾迪|Now only Eddie Trulock stood between me and the auction block.
我对他的爱好和他篮子里的食物一点也不感兴趣|I wasn't interested in his hobbies or what was in his basket.
5美元开始出价 我心里全想着朱莉|Let's start the bidding at $5. All I could think of was Juli.
有人吗? 要是她投我怎么办|Anybody? What if she did bid on me?
要是她和雪利 米娜妮一起争我 输掉了怎么办|What if she got in a bidding war with Sherry and Melanie and lost out?
没有买家吗|No bidders?
我正在想这可怕的后果 这时|I was contemplating the horrors of this senario when
8美元|Eight dollars.
有人出8美元 有人出10美元的吗|There you go. Eight dollars, that's more like it. Do I hear 10?
朱莉·贝克投给艾迪·图鲁克?|Juli Baker was bidding on Eddie Trulock?
8美元一次 她怎么能投给艾迪?|Okay, 8 going once. How could she bid on Eddie?
8美元两次 她怎么能投给别人呢|Eight going twice. How could she bid on anyone?
朱莉·贝克成交|Sold to Juli Baker.
下一位是九号 布莱斯·罗斯基|Next is Basketboy number nine, Bryce Loski.
我知道我该往前一步 但我走不动|I knew I was supposed to step forward, but I couldn't move.
向前一步 布莱斯 不要害羞|Step up, Bryce, don't be shy.
迟到总比不到的好 哈哈|Better late than never. Ha, ha.
布莱斯喜欢棒球|Bryce likes to play baseball.
5美元 等我先|Five dollars. Oh, well, wait until l
10美元 哇|Ten. Oh.
看起来拍卖已经开始了|Well, it appears the bidding is underway.
15美元 20美元|Fifteen. Twenty.
25 30|Twenty-five. Thirty.
35 40|Thirty-five. Forty.
50 我的天|Fifty. Oh, my.
50美元|Fifty dollars. Wh
50美元一次|Fifty going once.
50美元两次|Fifty going twice.
50美元拍给雪利小姐|Sold to Miss Sherry Stalls for $50.
竞价再创新高|An all-time record.
支持者们会感激这么慷慨的捐助的|Oh, the boosters will be very grateful for such a generous donation.
很奇怪|It's strange.
我正在和学校最漂亮的女孩吃午饭|Here I was, having lunch with the hottest girl in school
却自我感觉很悲催|and I was miserable.
我们会去湖边 我爸爸在那有座木屋|We're going up to the lake. My dad has a cabin there
你能晒出最好看的肤色|and you get the most outrageous tan.
因为离我不到20英尺就坐着朱莉|Because less than 20 feet away from me was Juli.
我的朱莉和艾迪·图鲁克一起|My Juli with Eddie Trulock.
她在笑|She's laughing.
她在笑什么|What was she laughing about?
她坐在那怎么能笑得这么开心 看着还这么美?|How could she sit there and laugh and look so beautiful?
布莱斯 你怎么了|Bryce, are you all right?
什么|What?
你在看什么|What are you staring at?
没什么|Nothing.
午饭很好吃 布莱斯|Lunch is really delicious, Bryce.
布莱斯 你在听我说话吗|Bryce, did you hear me?
这顿午餐很好吃|This is a really delicious lunch.
我们可以不聊晒肤色或食物吗|Can we not talk about tans or food?
那你想聊什么|Well, what do you wanna talk about?
不知道 永动机? 你知道永动机吗|I don't know, perpetual motion? Do you know anything about that?
永动啥?|Perpetual what?
我不知道我当时在想什么|I don't know what came over me.
我像被鬼附身了|It was like I was possessed or something.
朱莉 我要和你谈谈 什么?|Juli, I gotta talk to you. What?
怎么了 布莱斯?|What's going on, Bryce?
你要干嘛?|What are you doing?
布莱斯 打住|Bryce, stop it.
布莱斯 你还没到一垒呢|Bryce, you didn't even make it to first base.
我要吻你 哈哈|I'll kiss you. Ha, ha.
朱莉 朱莉|Juli! Juli!
朱莉 等等 我们能聊聊吗|Juli, wait. Can we talk?
朱莉|Juli!
你疯了吗 别烦我 加利特|What's the matter with you? Leave me alone, Garrett.
你和校花在约会 你确为了朱莉不鸟她|You get a date with the finest girl on campus and you blow it for Juli.
你不会明白! 我完全不明白|You wouldn't understand! I completely don't understand!
我们说的是朱莉·贝克|We're talking about Juli Baker here.
噩梦般的邻居 无所不知的讨厌鬼|Nightmare neighbor, know-it-all nuisance.
甩不掉的跟屁虫|The coop-poop babe.
住嘴|Shut up!
你对她动心了吗 你怎么了|Hey, have you flipped? What's the matter with you?
要是你非这样不可|You know what, if you're gonna be like this,
我就不理你了|I don't need the association.
很好啊 我也不想理你 正合我意|Well, good, because neither do I. Yeah, neither do I!
我回家时 脏碗脏碟在我的篮子里晃来晃去|As I walked home with the dirty dishes clanking inside my picnic basket
而我一直想着朱莉|all I could think of was Juli.
我意识到加利特一件事是说对了|And I realized Garrett was right about one thing:
我心动了 完全心动了|I had flipped. Completely.
你好|Hello?
你好 贝克太太 朱莉在吗|Oh, heh. Hi, Mrs. Baker. Is Juli there?
对不起 布莱斯 朱莉不想说话|Oh. I'm sorry, Bryce. Juli doesn't wanna talk.
求你了 贝克太太 我必须见她|Please, Mrs. Baker. I gotta see her.
对不起 布莱斯|I'm sorry, Bryce.
恐怕她把自己关在卧室里了|But I'm afraid she's locked herself in her room.
那晚我早早上床了|I tried to go to bed early that night
但我睡不着|but I couldn't sleep.
我透过窗户看她的房子 一看数个小时|I watched her house from my window for hours.
我必须找一种办法告诉她我的想法|I had to find a way to show her how I felt.
周一早上 在我去学校的路上|Monday morning, as I made my way into school
我在想我愿意嫁给艾佛里兄弟(歌手)中的哪一个|I was deciding which of the Everly Brothers I'd rather marry
突然戴娜·切斯勒把布莱斯挤进我的脑海|when Dana Tressler forced Bryce back into my brain.
朱莉 名单出来了|Juli. The list is out.
他是九号 你的主菜|There he is, number nine, your main dish.
布莱斯·罗斯基不是我的主菜|Bryce Loski's not my main dish.
你还是坚持自己的食谱|Oh, you're sticking to your diet.
那不是我的食谱 戴娜|It's not a diet, Dana.
我已经不喜欢他了 很高兴听你这样说|I'm over him, okay? I'm glad to hear it.
因为有传言说雪利已经公开要他了|Because rumor has it Sherry's already staking her claim on him.
雪利? 雪利·斯通?|Sherry? Sherry Stalls?
利兹 梅西 名单出来了|Oh, Liz. Macy. The list is up.
那个下午 我一直在想篮子男孩拍卖会的事|That afternoon, I found myself obsessing about the Basketboy auction.
我感到自己在怀念布莱斯的一切|I could feel myself backsliding about Bryce.
但如果雪利喜欢他 跟我有何关系|But why should I care if Sherry liked him?
我根本不该想他|I shouldn't even be thinking about him.
我要摆脱这种困扰|I had to rise above this.
布莱斯·罗斯基不再是我生活的一部分|Bryce Loski was no longer in my life.
拍卖会那天早上 我纠结了|On the morning of the auction, I was on edge.
我莫名其妙地|I found myself, without even knowing how it happened,
对卖鸡蛋存的钱虎视眈眈|staring at my egg money.
我需要一个策略|I needed a strategy.
很简单|It was simple.
如果我把钱留在家里 就不会受它诱惑了|If I left my money at home, I'd leave temptation with it.
我的策略在遇到斯特比太太时受挫了|My strategy suffered a setback when I ran into Mrs. Steuby.
朱莉安娜|Julianna.
朱莉安娜|Julianna.
你好 亲爱的|Hello, dear.
实在抱歉 过了这么久才把钱给你|I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get this to you
但我从一大早就开始想你|but I keep missing you in the morning.
斯特比太太 我不需要 你没必要...|Mrs. Steuby, I don't want that. You don't have to...
别这样 我肯定要付你钱的|Don't be ridiculous. I'm gonna pay you.
我要付你钱 我不想要 我不想要|I'm going to pay you. I don't want that. I don't want it.
我要你去买点节庆的礼物犒赏自己|Yeah, I want you to go out and buy yourself something festive.
七分裤吧 哈哈|Pedal pushers. Ha, ha.
斯特比太太 再见 亲爱的|Mrs. Steuby. Bye, dear.
斯特比太太 我不想要七分裤|Mrs. Steuby, I don't want pedal pushers.
不 会很衬你的|No, no. You'll look great.
好吧|It's okay.
好吧 没啥大不了的 就假装我没拿到这笔钱|It's okay. No big deal. Just pretend like I don't have it.
我听说你准备投布莱斯|I hear you're planning to bid on Bryce.
什么 谁给你说的 我不会|What? Who told you that? No, I'm not.
有人看见你早上拿了一笔钱|Someone saw you with a wad of cash this morning.
你有多少钱? 跟你无关|How much do you have? It's none of your business.
而且我不投标 我不喜欢他了|And I'm not bidding, okay? I don't even like him anymore.
太阳打西边出来了|Oh, that'll be the day.
真的 去把你的钱浪费在他身上吧 我不介意|It's true. Go ahead, waste your money on him. I don't care.
现在 请用热烈的掌声|And now, will you all give a big Mayfield School welcome
欢迎1963年的篮子男孩们|to your 1963 Basketboys.
我可以说我当时并不在乎|I could say I didn't care all I wanted
但当我看见布莱斯穿着夹克打着领带|but seeing Bryce walk out in his jacket and tie
提着那个野餐篮子时|holding that picnic basket
我的大脑又混乱了|set my head spinning again.
15美元一次|Fifteen going once.
拍卖的时间过得很快 15美元两次|The auction seemed to fly by. Fifteen going twice.
梅西·泰勒15美元竞标成功|Sold to Macy Taylor for $15.
我还没反应过来 就叫到艾迪·图鲁克了|Before I knew it, Eddie Trulock was called.
艾迪·图鲁克是八号|Number eight is Eddie Trulock.
就是说布莱斯是下一个|Which meant Bryce was next.
艾迪是辩论队的一员|Eddie is a member of the debate team.
他的爱好包括钓鱼|And his hobbies include fishing
和做飞机模型|and model-airplane building.
谁出5美元?|Who will give me $5?
为什么没人出价呢 他挺好的啊 是啊|Why isn't anyone bidding? He's so nice. Exactly.
没人吗|Nobody?
8美元|Eight dollars.
8美元卖给朱莉·贝克|Sold to Juli Baker for $8.
这是什么情况|How did this happen?
是因为我同情艾迪吗|Was it because I felt bad for Eddie?
或者因为我不相信能拍到布莱斯?|Or was it because I couldn't trust myself with Bryce?
在我去多功能厅的路上|As I made my way to the multi-purpose room
我思考着事情转变那一刻的经过|I contemplated the startling turn of events.
于是 我就准备和艾迪·图鲁克共进午餐了|Here I was, about to have lunch with Eddie Trulock
而我朝思暮想了半辈子的男孩|while the boy I mooned over for half my life
却要和我的宿敌坐在一起吃饭|was going to share a meal with my mortal enemy.
谢谢你投我|I wanna thank you for bidding on me.
本来我就是走个过场|It was touch-and-go there for a while.
不 我想投你 挺有意思的|No, I wanted to. This will be fun.
听说你喜欢修飞机模型 是啊|I hear you like building model airplanes. Yeah.
我和爸爸刚建好一架俄国MiG-19|My father and I just finished a Russian MiG-19.
是1955年制造的|It was made in 1955.
MiG是第一架超音速战斗机|MiG's first supersonic fighter.
难在它的驾驶室是凹进去的|Little tricky because the cockpit was recessed
我想把注意力都集中在艾迪身上|I tried to give Eddie my full attention.
但很困难 因为布莱斯就坐在他身后|But it was difficult, because Bryce was right behind him.
艾迪在说什么进气阀|Eddie was saying something about intake valves
突然 布莱斯站起来朝我走过来了|when out of nowhere, Bryce stood up and marched straight towards me.
嗨 朱莉 我要跟你谈谈|Hey, Juli, I gotta talk to you.
你在干嘛?|What are you doing?
他想亲我 他想亲我|He was going to kiss me. To kiss me.
这辈子我都在等那个吻|All my life I've been waiting for that kiss.
但不是这个 不是这样|But not like this. Not this way.
我飞快地骑车回家 我觉得我的肺快爆炸了|I pedaled home so hard, I thought my lungs would burst.
朱莉安娜?|Julianna?
朱莉安娜|Julianna.
亲爱的?|Honey?
怎么了|What's wrong?
我不能说|I can't.
宝贝|Sweetheart
你可以对我说|you can tell me.
布莱斯想吻我|Bryce tried to kiss me.
真的吗|He did?
在学校里|In school.
当着大家的面|In front of everybody.
妈妈 别开门|Mom, please don't get it.
可能是他|It's probably him.
宝贝|Sweetheart
也许你该找他谈谈|maybe you should talk to him.
不行|I can't.
不行|I can't.
布莱斯不肯放过我|Bryce wouldn't leave me alone.
他不停地打电话|He kept calling on the phone.
敲门|And knocking on the door.
甚至爬上房子敲我的窗户|He even snuck around the house and tapped on my window.
朱莉 求你了 我要见你|Juli! Please, I gotta see you!
出来一下 就一分钟|Come on out, just for a minute!
他怎么不明白我不想见他|Why didn't he understand that I just wanted to be left alone?
求你了|Please!
两天后 布莱斯终于收手了|After two days, Bryce stopped.
我以为彻底结束了|And I thought it was finally over.
直到一天下午 我到前厅看书|Then, one afternoon, I was coming into the front room to read
听见院子里有响声|when I heard a noise in the yard.
他在干嘛|Hey, what's he doing?
朱莉 冷静点 我允许他那样的|Juli, calm down. I gave him permission.
允许? 允许什么 他在挖洞啊|Permission? Permission for what? He's digging a hole.
我同意他挖的|I told him he could.
为什么|But why?
我同意了的|I told him he could.
看他在我的草地上挖洞 让我很难受|It was torture seeing him dig up my grass.
为什么爸爸允许他挖洞|How could my father let him do this?
布莱斯知道我在看着他|Bryce knew I was there too.
他走了|He's gone.
树?|A tree?
他在种树?|He's planting a tree?
是...?|Is it a?
无须多问|I didn't really need to ask.
从叶子的形状|I could tell from the shape of the leaves
和枝干的纹路来看|and the texture of the trunk.
是一棵无花果树|It was a sycamore tree.
当她走出那扇门|When she walked out of the door,
我想起第一次见她|I thought back to the first time I saw her.
怎么会有人想从朱莉·贝克手里挣脱呢|How could anybody, ever, have wanted to run away from Juli Baker?
他用那双眼睛看着我|He looked at me with those eyes.
忽闪忽闪的大眼睛|Those once again dazzling eyes.
我就知道布莱斯·罗斯基仍然欠我一个初吻|And I knew that Bryce Loski was still walking around with my first kiss.
但他不会让我久等了|But he wouldn't be for long.
当我们站在那儿 我意识到这么些年|As we stood there, I realized that all these years
我们没有真正地交谈过|we never really talked.
需要帮助吗|Do you need some help?
嗯|Yeah.
但那天 我们开始交流了|But that day, we started.
我知道我们会说很久很久|And I knew we'd be talking for a long time.

本文来源:https://www.2haoxitong.net/k/doc/e3b9bde76337ee06eff9aef8941ea76e58fa4a86.html

《《怦然心动》中英文台词完整版.doc》
将本文的Word文档下载到电脑,方便收藏和打印
推荐度:
点击下载文档

文档为doc格式